My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding a new Lodge

thomasec

Hello,

I've sent a message twice to the webmaster, but have heard nothing back. Perhaps someone else can help me.

I became an Entered Apprentice at the Helotes, Texas lodge a couple of years ago, but then I had to have a full hip replacement operation and it wasn't successful. I have spent the last 2 1/2 years pretty much confined to my apt until the VA gave me a new power chair, which helps me with my mobility.

Now, I don't live anywhere NEAR Helotes. l live on San Pedro Ave just a little south of Loop 410 in San Antonio.

I need to find a nearby lodge where I can resume my activities as an Entered Apprentice and begin to advance.

Can anyone please help me locate a nearby lodge, a contact name/number and when the lodge meets?

If you would like to email me the information, my email is thomasec@outlook.com

Thank you.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
First, you need to contact the Secretary at Helotes Lodge and find out about your status and explain your situation. There is a process to finish your work after a long break. Since you've begun the work, you need to square things in order to move to a new lodge.

Second, if you go up San Pedro to 1604 and go west to the Alzafar Shrine, there are at least two lodges that meet there- one is Kelly Lodge and I can't remember the other at the moment. If you go up to 410 and go east to the 410/35 interchange, you're just about at the doorstep of Charles W. Anderson lodge. If you go south down 281 and take the Grayson exit and go left on Grayson, you'll come to Army lodge. If you go to 410 and go west to the Valley Hi exit and take the turn around, you'll find Valley Hi Lodge. You're pretty centrally located for finding a lodge.

But the first thing you need to do is contact Helotes' Secretary and get your status squared away. The secretary at whatever lodge you choose will need to know your status and what arrangements have been made to finish your work. There is process where you turn in your proficiency and then I think the Lodge has to ballot for you to continue to FC. The WM at Helotes right now is Bro. Jon Anderson. If you have problems getting hold of him, let me know via PM and I'll contact him and pass him your contact information.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
thomasec, as an addendum (if those are allowed on posts), I hope my original post didn't come across too "strident", I was in a bit of a hurry and I wanted to get you information you can use. Between the secretary and WM at Helotes and the ones at whichever lodge you choose, there is a wealth of knowledge on how to help you get moving again on your Masonic journey and the brethren will be happy to help you along. I am somewhat familiar with the process of picking up and continuing, but lodge secretaries are the experts. My hope was to reassure you that there is a way to get going again and provide the starting point. When I re-read my post I'm afraid the extended hand may have been obscured by my brevity and gruffness.

Please feel free to PM me your contact info and I'll put it in the hands of the Helotes WM so the experts in this process can get you the specifics on getting started. While that is going on, you've got time to research the lodges I listed to see if one of those is convenient and to your liking. You really can't go wrong at any of them, so it probably boils down to how close and how easy it is to travel.

I wish you luck and I offer you whatever assistance I may be able to provide as you restart your journey!

-BroBill

thomasec

Thank you very much for the link. I haven't seen it, yet, but I just opened it in a new tab, so I will see if it helps me. Thanks again!

thomasec

Thank you, BroBill. I will need some assistance in this matter. The closest Lodge to me and one that is relatively easy to get to is Lodge #1309, Lonnie Irvin Lodge on Basse Road. I am in a power chair and have no vehicle, so getting to the Helotes Lodge is virtually impossible unless I can get someone to give me a ride there and back home, which is a lot to ask someone. I am not paralyzed; I can walk, but with difficulty. I must use a cane. Now...how do I PM you with my info? I am going to try and figure that out next.

Thomas

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
If you check your Inbox, you should find my response. Got to it early this morning before work. I'm very happy to be able to help out in any way I can. Also, I fumbled the Lonnie Irvin Lodge and yes, it- like all the others- is an excellent lodge.