My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Felony Record

jermy Bell

Bro Jeremy.playing y didn't you personally press Masonic charges on the brother? Had you done that it would have required to be acted on by your lodge no matter who agreed or not. It would take time due to the process & protocols involved, but nonetheless would officially make it to GLoT to be entered & dealt with. Unfortunately, this is one of the prime examples for the need to have "qualified" persons on investigation teams & to conduct periodic training within our lodges. Too many times I believe this happens because so&so knows this persons dad, uncle or whomever. Many lodges have professional investigators, but now they cannot be used because the fear of lawsuits. Sad & difficult & P. C.times were are living in. I'm sure this happens more than we think especially in the smaller lodges throughout Texas.
A few of us have pressured the past master who was also playing Secretary, and is Secretary this year refused to get us the paperwork to get things started, now the new WM.refuses to do anything either. So a couple of us went to our grand lodge, and now the grand lodge says its our problem, that they wouldn't step in to help. So we were told by the past and current masters , to just let it go

dfreybur

Premium Member
A few of us have pressured the past master who was also playing Secretary, and is Secretary this year refused to get us the paperwork to get things started, now the new WM.refuses to do anything either. So a couple of us went to our grand lodge, and now the grand lodge says its our problem, that they wouldn't step in to help. So we were told by the past and current masters , to just let it go

Paperwork or not you have the right to insist. You SHOULD insist. Shame on those who stonewall you but they can NOT stop you.

In my jurisdictions if you produce the felony conviction records the sitting GM *MUST* expel the less-than-man.

Notice a temporary disconnect here. The case was in the newspaper. You have not (YET) retrieved a copy of the public record of the court cases. Go to the county recorder and ask for a copy. If it's not yet available ask when to come back. When you have the document in your hands send a copy to GL and DEMAND your right as a Mason to press Masonic trial.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Paperwork or not you have the right to insist. You SHOULD insist. Shame on those who stonewall you but they can NOT stop you.

In my jurisdictions if you produce the felony conviction records the sitting GM *MUST* expel the less-than-man.

Notice a temporary disconnect here. The case was in the newspaper. You have not (YET) retrieved a copy of the public record of the court cases. Go to the county recorder and ask for a copy. If it's not yet available ask when to come back. When you have the document in your hands send a copy to GL and DEMAND your right as a Mason to press Masonic trial.
Absolutely!!!!!

CLewey44

If someone has a felony from 13 years ago, and has sincerely changed his life, changed his views, and has accepted Christ in his life, can he become a mason in Texas?

I think you simply have to go by what the bylaws are in that regard as others have mentioned. Finding Christ or Finding Nemo doesn't allow to override the rules.

jermy Bell

i would like to thank you for the advice, i have looked into how this trial thing works, we see that he will be tried by the members of the lodge, which will not favor anyone but himself. because most of our members that do show up for meetings are under the influence of the past master whom is also district deputy, and is good friend of the accused . and none will go against the MAJORITY . and we cant get enough people in lodge that would see this threw.so, we will have to find around this, it is sad that we have people in our lodge who took their obligation on a bible, only to benefit themselves and others that are corrupt .................and finding a new lodge to attend is not the answer.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
While we don't know all the details, why are you relying on your secretary or GL to file charges? It's your duty if you believe them justified.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
i have a lodge brother that lied on his petition about having a felony, at the time he was a member from another lodge in a difrent state, and im guessing that his home lodge did'nt look into it, and my members of the investigation committee didnt do a good job of doing a back ground check, 2 years later the brother got mason of the year, then 2 days later it came out in the paper that he beat up his girlfriend, and earned himself a domestic felony, the WM at the time did nothing to turn this into the GL. and the new WM, refuses to do anything either, several us went to our grand lodge and spoke with the new grand master, and found out that the GL, doesnt want anything to do with it, so i guess its alright to have a felony as long as everyone in your lodge and grand lodge is cool with it. Or doesnt know about it.The only thing i dont get anymore,is how does this make good men better ?????r
Under GLoTX, as soon as he was finally convicted of any felony, he would be automatically expelled. Your Grand Lodge Law may vary.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro Jeremy...why didn't you personally press Masonic charges on the brother? Had you done that it would have required to be acted on by your lodge no matter who agreed or not. It would take time due to the process & protocols involved, but nonetheless would officially make it to GLoT to be entered & dealt with. Unfortunately, this is one of the prime examples for the need to have "qualified" persons on investigation teams & to conduct periodic training within our lodges. Too many times I believe this happens because so&so knows this persons dad, uncle or whomever. Many lodges have professional investigators, but now they cannot be used because the fear of lawsuits. Sad & difficult & P. C.times were are living in. I'm sure this happens more than we think especially in the smaller lodges throughout Texas.
Bro. Jerry- Bro. Jeremy is under the Grand Lodge of Illinois. Bro. Doug, also being a member of GLoIL, is probably better qualified to advise him in accordance with IL Law than are we. Their laws may be entirely different than are ours.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Bro. Jerry- Bro. Jeremy is under the Grand Lodge of Illinois. Bro. Doug, also being a member of GLoIL, is probably better qualified to advise him in accordance with IL Law than are we. Their laws may be entirely different than are ours.

Under Illinois rules the GM *MUST* either expel a felon on notice of conviction or place on suspension pending appeals. There is no digression by the GM. I can cite the article in the book if folks want - I have a paper copy at home.

This is why I suggested pulling a copy of the official court case from the county recorder - A newspaper article does not count for this purpose. A copy of the court case, submitted to the GL offices in Springfield, gives the GM zero choice in the matter. There will never even be a Masonic trial and local support will not matter at all. He'll be sent a letter of expulsion as soon at the correct paperwork arrives at the GL offices. Having the correct paperwork matters.

Requests by felons for reinstatement are voted on at every GL I've ever attended. The pattern of how it goes is consistent. His own lodge must recommend him, which would not be a surprise given the events described. A majority of the delegates present must vote in favor. I don't recall the percentage needed but no vote I've ever participated in has ever been close in either direction. Violent offenders get very few votes. There may be lodges that don't believe a member is a wife beater but convicted wife beaters don't get readmitted.

Please don't let the locals ignore this. Please get the court record from the county recorder and send to the Gr Sec.