My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Felony Record

T

T.N. Sampson

After reading through the posts on this thread, here's my conclusion: GL specific restrictions in law beyond the general ones on candidate qualifications are in direct opposition to the tenet that the focus should be on the internal qualifications of the man. Certainly a felony on his record might point to real problem with a man, but is that 100% accurate on his current internal qualifications? It's my guess that such restrictions were caused by Lodges failing to exercise due diligence in making such decisions. A man selected by the Lodge is not only granted access to the Lodge, but to Freemasonry worldwide, a fact the GL would expect each Lodge to consider. Cordially, Skip.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
After reading through the posts on this thread, here's my conclusion: GL specific restrictions in law beyond the general ones on candidate qualifications are in direct opposition to the tenet that the focus should be on the internal qualifications of the man. Certainly a felony on his record might point to real problem with a man, but is that 100% accurate on his current internal qualifications? It's my guess that such restrictions were caused by Lodges failing to exercise due diligence in making such decisions. A man selected by the Lodge is not only granted access to the Lodge, but to Freemasonry worldwide, a fact the GL would expect each Lodge to consider. Cordially, Skip.

As you are not a Freemason your conclusion means nothing. Again, you've out smarted yourself.

T

T.N. Sampson

As you are not a Freemason your conclusion means nothing.
So, those agreeing with the thought are similarly wrong? My conclusions are accurate in such matters only to the degree that they rest upon Masonic doctrine. I think this one rests very solidly on such doctrine. Cordially, Skip.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Again, Masonic doctrine. You'd be wrong again... What someone wishes (people in Disneyland, wish) verses what they desire and fact are three different things.
You try to keep applying your "Doctrine" methodolgy" to something that is NOT monolithic. Again, you've out smarted yourself!

Last edited:
T

T.N. Sampson

You try to keep applying your "Doctrine" methodolgy" to something that is NOT monolithic.
Actually, each GL has some monolithic attributes. For example, all U.S. GL's must trace their lineage to the UGLE, somewhat suggestive of a monolithic organization.

In the main, though, your error is the apparent assumption that 'doctrine' is limited to monolithic groups when, in fact, it's not. Doctrine is "a particular principle, position or policy taught or advocated; a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject." I'd say Freemasonry has much in the way of doctrine, as defined. Cordially, Skip.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Actually, each GL has some monolithic attributes. For example, all U.S. GL's must trace their lineage to the UGLE, somewhat suggestive of a monolithic organization.

In the main, though, your error is the apparent assumption that 'doctrine' is limited to monolithic groups when, in fact, it's not. Doctrine is "a particular principle, position or policy taught or advocated; a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject." I'd say Freemasonry has much in the way of doctrine, as defined. Cordially, Skip.

And a zebra looks like a horse too! Each Grand Lodge is unto itself a separate entity. But you knew that. You can't make sweeping generalisations, compartmentalise them and make then into sweeping statements and not come off as a sounding ridiculous.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I hope you guys see what he is doing and how all conversations are going to go when you let an anti-Mason on the boards.

Ok how will you keep non-Masons off the board? If a real Mason has a deferent opinion than yours will you know they are real and not kick them off. Who and how will someone decide if they are Masons you can't do it on-line. Will we need the GLoT handout Cert's with a 2048 encription (privet key). 1024 has been cracked. Do we setup with Verisign or what. Then the guys in France could not contrubute encription is agenst the law if the government does'nt have a key.

It looks to me that it is best to be open as posable and skip may learn.

scialytic

Premium Member
Brother Porter has brought up an interesting point. Similar to the Sanctum Sanctorum channel on this forum, could there be a channel for verified Masons? Sounds tedious as hell, but once the first (huge) wave of masons it would be minimal to maintain. I'd be willing to assist in verifying for Texas if needed.

I'm sure there are many reasons as to why this would be too complicated (which as I write, it does), but how about a board where there is less scrutiny that has limiting access to the channel based on affiliation? Maybe even a Master Mason's channel? Just a thought.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
I honestly think we don't need to make it as difficult as TSS is. MOT has its own flare and I like it...but I say hit the ol' ban button on Skip and any other self proclaimed anti...let them go find a different soap box.

widows son

Premium Member
Skip you are wrong once again. Bad life choices are the consequences one has to live by. Freemasonry expects its members to be of a pure moral fiber. A man who has committed a crime shouldn't be penalized for the rest of his life but, his actions shouldn't penalize and tarnish the name of freemasonry. Unfortunately for your doctrine statement, it also isn't true. As many of the brethren have stated, The UGLE has stated tenets that each GL is to follow. Exclusion of felons is one of them. But your idea of doctrine being disseminated like a pope disseminating to his bishops is inaccurate. Again each jurisdiction is governed with their own sovereignty under a charter from UGLE. The UGLE is no different than any other GL except that it's the first recognized, and embodies the spirit of freemasonry, which then charters that spirit so to speak to other GL's

T

T.N. Sampson

The UGLE has stated tenets that each GL is to follow. Exclusion of felons is one of them. But your idea of doctrine being disseminated like a pope disseminating to his bishops is inaccurate.
Well, I've never likened Freemasonry to the Catholic Church, but it seems to me that your first thoughts are contradicted by the last sentence. If the UGLE has the authority to mandate doctrine to other GL's, it certainly does sound a lot like the Pope speaking ex cathedra. Cordially, Skip.

jwhoff

Premium Member
So .. Mister Skip, are you a Catholic? I wouldn't begin to attest to the Pope's motives on anything ... save the salvation of souls. I think I could probably safely assume that to be among his motives.

Benton

Premium Member
So .. Mister Skip, are you a Catholic? I wouldn't begin to attest to the Pope's motives on anything ... save the salvation of souls. I think I could probably safely assume that to be among his motives.

Skip has been banned, fyi. So you probably won't be receiving a response... :)

jermy Bell

i have a lodge brother that lied on his petition about having a felony, at the time he was a member from another lodge in a difrent state, and im guessing that his home lodge did'nt look into it, and my members of the investigation committee didnt do a good job of doing a back ground check, 2 years later the brother got mason of the year, then 2 days later it came out in the paper that he beat up his girlfriend, and earned himself a domestic felony, the WM at the time did nothing to turn this into the GL. and the new WM, refuses to do anything either, several us went to our grand lodge and spoke with the new grand master, and found out that the GL, doesnt want anything to do with it, so i guess its alright to have a felony as long as everyone in your lodge and grand lodge is cool with it. Or doesnt know about it.The only thing i dont get anymore,is how does this make good men better ?????r

jermy Bell

what if he has a reputation for beating up his girlfriend, then ending up getting it in your towns paper ? then gets mason of the year afterwards ? i mean seriously ? what part of masonry does this fall under ????

Plustax

Bro Jeremy...why didn't you personally press Masonic charges on the brother? Had you done that it would have required to be acted on by your lodge no matter who agreed or not. It would take time due to the process & protocols involved, but nonetheless would officially make it to GLoT to be entered & dealt with. Unfortunately, this is one of the prime examples for the need to have "qualified" persons on investigation teams & to conduct periodic training within our lodges. Too many times I believe this happens because so&so knows this persons dad, uncle or whomever. Many lodges have professional investigators, but now they cannot be used because the fear of lawsuits. Sad & difficult & P. C.times were are living in. I'm sure this happens more than we think especially in the smaller lodges throughout Texas.