My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you agree with the results of Annual Communications

dfreybur

Premium Member
When a huge percentage of brethren seem to think that masonic education begins and ends with the catechism it was probably a wise idea to provide some pre-made education programs.

This is one of those unending frustrations. Ritual training is not Masonic education. Ritual training is teaching what the ritual is (this year in this jurisdiction) with a good mentor mixing in the education of what it means.

Masonic education starts with what the ritual means (to one brother) and expands into the vast realms of the seven liberal arts and sciences. Latest discoveries from the space telescope? That Masonic education because astronomy is in our list. Of course it works even better if you know about Masons who worked in the field and/or how the latest discovery demonstrates a vast symmetry brought to us by supreme being.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We, also, have been doing Masonic education in our Lodge. The Brother who has been presenting it has based many of his talks on the Short Talk Bulletins and expanded upon them. What's funny is that he is our new DDGM!

JFS61

Premium Member
Fail RESOLUTION NO. 3 pg 64 Assessment to repair the GL building

That's a topic discussed many times on this forum. IMO it's an albatross. My bias - One of my jurisdictions flourishes with only a tiny leased office space.

Having worked in Real Estate, I can say that selling the building and moving to a leased office space is going to be a money loser over time. The cost of searching for and leasing suitable office space, combined with having to move and find permanent storage facilities for the Grand Lodge's archives and collections is going to be a major (and ongoing) expense. The cost and logistics of having to rent a hotel ballroom or expo center large enough to hold the Grand Communication every year will be a major drain on financial resources as well. So, basically, within a few years you will find yourself right back in the same financial situation that you were in to begin with, but in this case without any equity in anything to show for it.

cacarter

Premium Member
Having worked in Real Estate, I can say that selling the building and moving to a leased office space is going to be a money loser over time. The cost of searching for and leasing suitable office space, combined with having to move and find permanent storage facilities for the Grand Lodge's archives and collections is going to be a major (and ongoing) expense. The cost and logistics of having to rent a hotel ballroom or expo center large enough to hold the Grand Communication every year will be a major drain on financial resources as well. So, basically, within a few years you will find yourself right back in the same financial situation that you were in to begin with, but in this case without any equity in anything to show for it.

If this is the case, then we should sell and build a smaller building. It would still have to cost less than the millions and millions it would cost to upgrade the current building.

kmfisher1

Was looking for a listing of the results item by item from resolution No.1 - 25. Saw one shortly after GL but can't remember where and can't find i again. Anyone got the tally? Thanks.

Willaim Perkins

I began a little bit of Masonic education at our Lodge meetings some years back, got the idea from a fellow Knight that had gone into some detail on a matter at a Commandery meeting. Another Brother with a bit more time and greater access to things gives an excellent class every month.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Was looking for a listing of the results item by item from resolution No.1 - 25. Saw one shortly after GL but can't remember where and can't find i again. Anyone got the tally? Thanks.
Here you go:

RESULTS OF THE 179TH GRAND ANNUAL COMMUNICATION

Resolutions:

2012 Tabled Resolution No. 17A – Postponed until the Grand Communication in 2015. To create a criminal background check for a Petitioner.

2013 Tabled Resolution No. 3 – Postponed until the Grand Communication in 2015. Amended Title V of the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas to rescind the current Title V and replace it with the Title V that was in effect prior to December 4, 2004.

Resolution No. 1 – Adopted as substituted. Requiring the appointment of a Committee to study the re-write of Title V.

Resolution No. 2 – Adopted as amended. Amends current Title V to make procedures more effective.

Resolution No. 3 – Not Adopted. Proposal that the GL assess $100 per Texas home Lodge member for 2015, 2016, and 2017 to renovate and operate the GL Building.

Resolution No. 4A. – Adopted as amended. States that we continue to have this Grand Lodge Building in Waco, and it be renovated, restored and/or repaired as needed.

Resolution No. 4B. – Not Adopted. Proposal that the GL Trustees establish a separate fundraiser to restore the GL Building.

Resolution No. 5 – Not Adopted. Proposal to amend Article 318a to permit endowed member to transfer his endowed membership.

Resolution No. 6 – Not Adopted. Proposal to Amend Article 318a to permit Trustees to authorize at least a $5 distribution each year (even if it dips into the corpus).

Resolution No. 7 – Adopted. Add Article 163e about the Ownership and Management of the EMF.

Resolution No. 8 – Adopted as amended*. Amends Art. II, Art. IV and Art. VII of the Constitution of the GLT to ensure that Masters and Wardens have full voting rights at all Grand Annual Communication and all contested elections of Grand Lodge Officers be conducted by written ballot of Lodges and Members.

Resolution No. 9 – Withdrawn. Proposal to amend the Constitution and Article 118 to Masonic Graduates Advisory Committee duties.

Resolution No. 10 – Postponed until the Grand Communication in 2015. Amend various statutes of the GL Laws in Title I to update the GL Laws as to the Masonic Home and School after closing of the residential facility in Fort Worth in 2005.

Resolution No. 11 – Postponed until the Grand Communication in 2015. Amend Constitution Article IX to update the GL Constitution with the closing of the MHS residential facility in Fort Worth in 2005.

Resolution No. 12 – Adopted. Amend Article 393 to delete requirement that a felony automatically disqualifies a candidate.

Resolution No. 13 – Withdrawn. Proposal to amend Article 313 in processing the Uniform Receipt Card.

Resolution No. 14 – Not Adopted. Proposal to amend Article 226 and permit handguns in the Lodge room.

Resolution No. 15 – Adopted. Change the name of New Salem Lodge No. 87 to Alex Tully Masonic Lodge No. 87.

Resolution No. 16 – Not Adopted. Proposal to amend Article 405a and permit Lodges to e-mail names of candidates to its members.

Resolution No. 17 – Adopted. Amend Article 178, Laying of Cornerstones.

Resolution No. 18 – Postponed until the Grand Communication in 2015. Amend Article 126f, GL Committee on Mediation Nos. 1 and 2, to require the Grand Master to have the Mediation Committees mediate pending Masonic disciplinary charges.

Resolution No. 19 – Adopted as amended*. Amend Article IV, Section 7, of the Constitution to vote by either written or electronic ballot.

Resolution No. 20 – Adopted. Adds Article 224b, Portraits and Displays in Lodge Rooms.

Resolution No. 21 – Adopted as amended. Amend Article 340 to require the Civil Law Committee to act upon conveyance of property issues within a limited time frame.

Resolution No. 22 – Adopted. Amend Article 172, Paragraph 6, to ensure that all Resolutions are filed with the Grand Secretary by April 15 and Recommendations on or before June 15.

Resolution No. 23 – Not Adopted. Proposal to amend Monitor regarding closing EA & FC Lodges.

Resolution No. 24 – Adopted as amended. Require the Committee on Work to provide an accurate Texas code or cipher book by the 2015 Grand Annual Communication.

Resolution No. 25 – Postponed until the Grand Communication in 2015. Amended Title V of the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas to rescind the current Title V and replace it with an amended Title V that was in effect prior to December 4, 2004.

Grand Master’s Recommendations:

1. Recommendation No. 1 – Not Adopted. Proposal to create a GL Strategic Planning Committee.

2. Recommendation No. 2 – Adopted. Criminal Background Checks – Proposes a centralized criminal background check system that would comply with federal law and be centralized in the Grand Secretary’s office. Petitioners for the degrees would be required to obtain the background check with the report going only to the GS Office. The GS Office will notify the Lodge about the petitioner’s qualifications. Effective July 1, 2015.

3. Recommendation No. 3 – Not Adopted. Proposal to establish a uniform Table Lodge Procedure.

4. Recommendation No. 4 – Adopted. Real Estate Transactions – Proposes legislation to improve the procedure for Lodge real estate transactions.

Election Results:

Grand Junior Warden – Tommy Frank Chapman

Grand Treasurer – Tommy W. Ellison

Committee on Work – G. Duane Anthony

Library and Museum Board – Lyndon L. Olson, Jr.

Director of Masonic Home and School – John R. Clements

* Since this resolution would amend the Constitution of the Grand Lodge of Texas, it must

be adopted at the 2015 Grand Communication before it is effective.

relapse98

Grand Lodge, like the blue Lodges, needs a building that can support itself. I'm thinking a multi-story office building, the majority of which could be leased out to others.

I agree it needs to support itself.

There's so much that could be done with a room the size of the auditorium at Grand Lodge.. if it was setup a little bit differently and had a modern sound and lighting system (read $$$).

But there's only so much that can be done with a multi-story office building in Waco, Texas. Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio/Fort Worth ... should be able to find reliable tenants. Waco, Texas? Someone's going to have to show me there's some demand for a new office building.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I agree it needs to support itself. But there's only so much that can be done with a multi-story office building in Waco, Texas. Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio/Fort Worth ... should be able to find reliable tenants. Waco, Texas? Someone's going to have to show me there's some demand for a new office building.
I agree- Austin would make much more sense.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Our Grand Lodge is right on Broadway in Nashville. It is a very nice building, but it, too, is a money pit. The first floor is offices, museum, library, etc. Upstairs is the main GL auditorium and a small lodge room as well as other ancillary rooms.
Here is the outside and inside the main room.
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1419430481.854336.jpg

ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1419430504.103023.jpg

jwardl

[QUOTE="rI also think we voted in something that's going to be redone in a few years. We removed the prohibition against convicted felons petitioning, however we voted in to require background checks. Come again? So we can allow felons but they still have to have a background check that tells us they are a felon? Seems counterintuitive to me. I wish with all the talk about walls and getting sued that we had amended that recommendation to only have added paragraph 38 to Article 505. Make the use etc. of a background check a disciplinary procedure to protect ourselves from getting sued under the fair credit reporting act but leave out the rest out requiring the petitioner to get a background check done, which seems really unnecessary with the passage of resolution 12..[/QUOTE]

That was definitely messy. I can't believe someone didn't offer an amendment to clean it up. Someone will next year.

Observer

While we're on it, what do you think about the new GM's first proclamation? We already do that at each stated meeting, we just now have to do the ones they've told us to.

From the Preface to the 2015 Masonic Education Program....

During the 2015 Grand Lodge year (December 2014 through November 2015), I am asking each Worshipful Master to set aside a few minutes at one stated meeting per month to present the following Masonic education programs OR A SUITABLE SUBSTITUTE of a Masonic nature dealing with the symbolism, allegories, or philosophy of Freemasonry.

The caps and bold are mine.

crono782

Premium Member
Yah I noticed that if you read the introduction it does say you can use any program in like spirit.

One other thing, after reading all the programs, I do not feel all programs are appropriate for every degree. There are a few FC programs and some MM ones too. My secretary assures me that these are okay for every degree, however, being the implementer of these in my lodge, I will not spoil even a hint of a higher degree to an EA or FC.

dfreybur

Premium Member
From the Preface to the 2015 Masonic Education Program....

During the 2015 Grand Lodge year (December 2014 through November 2015), I am asking each Worshipful Master to set aside a few minutes at one stated meeting per month to present the following Masonic education programs OR A SUITABLE SUBSTITUTE of a Masonic nature dealing with the symbolism, allegories, or philosophy of Freemasonry.

The caps and bold are mine.

So any lodge that does not have a program prepared (or does not have one of the regulars on this forum who present regularly) has a presentation to read. Any of us who do presentations are free to continue doing so. Nice. Last week I was at a Stated meeting with two presentations because one was read from the program the other had been prepared. As usual I had a talk in the can if asked.

relapse98

Posted a little over an hour ago on the Grand Lodge facebook page. Both Grand Masters have signed the amended compact. We are moving quite rapidly toward visitation. I'm pretty sure there will be visiting parties at both Grand Lodges next year.

10917851_913796928654399_4010107440330676981_n.jpg

JJones

Posted a little over an hour ago on the Grand Lodge facebook page. Both Grand Masters have signed the amended compact. We are moving quite rapidly toward visitation. I'm pretty sure there will be visiting parties at both Grand Lodges next year.

Have you read some of the comments on that FB post? It's disheartening to read what some brothers have to say about this.

relapse98

I'm not sure why some of them want an extra year delay in the vote. I have a lot of mean comments that I could say to those people but I just keep them to myself. I find that looking at the FB groups they belong to be quite humorous.