My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DDGM visit

E

eagle1966

If DDGM is the master of the lodge, who should sit in the east during official visit?
Freemason Connect Premium App

jwhoff

Premium Member
Possible.

But I know this. If the Senior Warden is wise, he'll put a Past Master in the East to keep the possible score from the District Instructor as high as 97.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Here in Kentucky when the DDGM visits a lodge the WM calls him to the east and offers him the the hat and gavel. The DDGM refuses the hat and takes the gavel only long enough to rap once to seat the craft. He them returns it to the WM and takes a seat among the brethern.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Hes asking if the DDGM is the Master of a Lodge and a DDGM official visit must happen with his own lodge who would sit as master to open the lodge?

My thought is that if that happened he would just open, then do his ddgm stuff and then go about with reg business. However i doubt someone would accept the WM position if they were or were going to be a DDGM

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Hes asking if the DDGM is the Master of a Lodge and a DDGM official visit must happen with his own lodge who would sit as master to open the lodge?

My thought is that if that happened he would just open, then do his ddgm stuff and then go about with reg business. However i doubt someone would accept the WM position if they were or were going to be a DDGM
Under GLoTX, the Lodge & GL years are offset by about 6 months. Here a DDGM must be a Past Master. On more than a few occasions, a second-time-around WM has gotten installed in June/July, and then has been appointed DDGM in December, thus serving as both for about half a year. Generally such a Brother has taken the WM job @ the behest of his Lodge, not knowing that he was being considered for DDGM.

To the operational question proposed, the proper procedure in the instance of an official visit would be for the DDGM to arrange beforehand for one of the PMs of the Lodge to open & preside over the Lodge so that he may concentrate on performing his DDGM duties.

dfreybur

Premium Member

In California there is a tradition to appoint DDGMs (California used the title Inspector) from adjacent districts on a best effort basis to reduce overlaps. I have not seen this tradition in my other 2 jurisdictions.

Official Visit with a formal introduction is mandatory in all 3 of my jurisdictions. If this were to happen he would have to appoint a brother to sit in the east pro-tem to handle the meeting. With all the usual requirements of who can and can't sit in the east pro-tem or at least who has to be present for anyone at all to sit in the east pro-tem.