My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dagger related to the Free Mason Help needed

web-boss

Hello i hope i come to the rigth place i search for information on this Dagger the symbols on the blade look like free Mason symbols to me any help is welcome . Thank you

IMG_2022_09_07_14_20_31_392.jpg
IMG_2022_09_07_14_21_55_794.jpg
IMG_2022_09_07_14_22_05_718.jpg
IMG_2022_09_07_14_22_48_675.jpg
IMG_2022_09_07_14_23_13_927.jpg
IMG_2022_09_07_14_23_28_717.jpg
IMG_2022_09_07_14_23_38_624.jpg

Winter

Premium Member
Interesting find. I'm not sure I see anything overtly Masonic on it other than the Square and Compass. And the addition there of what looks like might be a hammer or pick, makes me wonder if it might be from one of the labor unions like the Junior Order United American Mechanics (JOUAM) from the late 1800s, whose symbols are often mistaken as Masonic. The shield shape below that I guess could possibly be a plumb line? Hopefully others here can shed more light on it.

web-boss

dear Winter thank you for youre help i forgotten to mention its origin i bougth this in switzerland so there could easy be a european even french revolution background
i also think its late 1800s by the making of the dagger leets see what other members suggest thank you

Winter

Premium Member
Thanks. That might shed more light on its origins. Unfortunately I am not well versed in 19th century Swiss organizations.

Winter

Premium Member
Close. That's a Level. I believe the emblem on the dagger is a plumbline, represented on that picture on the right side under the open compases. The long rectangle. I'm coming to this conclusion solely because the weight extends below the base which would not work on a level but would on a plumbline.

web-boss

oic i remember that here in switzerland all workman handcrafters like carpenthers and masons had been in a kind of organisation brotherhood called "Zunft" in german ,i guess kind of early free masons

Bloke

Premium Member
Interesting find. I'm not sure I see anything overtly Masonic on it other than the Square and Compass. And the addition there of what looks like might be a hammer or pick, makes me wonder if it might be from one of the labor unions like the Junior Order United American Mechanics (JOUAM) from the late 1800s, whose symbols are often mistaken as Masonic. The shield shape below that I guess could possibly be a plumb line? Hopefully others here can shed more light on it.
More - in the damage section closer to the hilt, there seems something which looks like a pair of pliers.

My jury is out... the Compasses (in unusual configuration) I spent a bit of time looking at.. wondering if the item to the left was pruning shears... probably not....

All I could say is it is a decorated dagger with a compasses and possible a level which might also be a shield.. but given the assumed configuration of other symbols.. possibly a level..

The most definitive statement I wold make is "dagger decorated with symbols",

I know that's not much help @web-boss but more helpful than jumping to a conclusion.

@Winter - did you notice the banner and possible spear in the 6th photo ? A trade fraternity or just a decorated commemorative or group dagger would be my next guess.

Winter

Premium Member
@Winter - did you notice the banner and possible spear in the 6th photo ? A trade fraternity or just a decorated commemorative or group dagger would be my next guess.
Trade fraternity was my best guess as well. But could.just as likely.be a Masonic item from a rite I am not familiar with.