My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a Jewish Brother Wear a Yamaka in a Lodge Room?

Can a Jewish Brother wear a Yamaka in Lodge?

• Yes

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Only as Worshipful Master

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
It is not a hat. It is something to show his servitude to God. Something that we, as , Masons believe in.

Agreed, I don't see the Yamaka the same as I see a hat. It is of a religious nature as you said to show their servitude to their God, and as such, I would respect it as being a part of their very being, as I am sure they see it too.

scialytic

Premium Member
I was reading through the Most Worshipful Grand Masters' of Texas Decisions and thought it was an interesting question.

Grand Master's Decision -2006- No. 1 says yes a Jewish Brother may wear a "Yamaka Hat" in the Lodge Room, so long as the brother wearing it does not (a) by wearing the Yamaka challenge the authority of the WM, or (b) seek to make a religious or political statement by wearing it.

Interesting...but it makes complete sense. Wonder how that would work for a Sikh?

What is the origin of the WM and the hat? The jewel is the implement, where'd the hat come from?

CajunTinMan

Masonic hats worn by the Master of the Lodge signify his authority of his rank and status...the origins of which go back over many centuries.
The wearing of a hat by the Worshipful Master alludes to the crown that adorned the head of King Solomon.

In the United States, a Stetson Homburg or Fedora style hat is quite popular and is often chosen by the Master of the lodge. Other hat brands and styles are also worn.

Albert Mackey, Masonic researcher and historian had this to say about Masonic hats in his Revised Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry, 1929:
To uncover the head in the presence of their superiors has been, among Christian nations, held as a dutiful obligation.
Among Eastern nations, it is their custom to uncover their feet when they enter a place of worship.
Kings:
Historically, Kings wore crowns to denote their rank, while the courtiers standing around him removed their hats in deference to his superior status.
Ancient Romans
We are told that the ancient Romans prayed with their head covered or veiled.
The woolen cap, called a pileus, was allowed to be worn only by the free-by-birth or manumission (papers with which one is formally released from slavery), but it was forbidden for Roman slaves to wear this cap.
House of Commons - London
Historically, it was customary that a member of the English Parliament, London's House of Commons, wear a hat when he addressed the membership of the House. If he were to have risen to speak without his hat, other members would greet him with cries of "Order, Order"!
France
In France, it was the custom of monks at the Sorbonne, (previously called the University of Paris which was founded in 1257 by Robert de Sorbon) to remove their cap when a member did not wish to speak or was in token of agreement with the others.
(End of Mackey quote from Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry, 1929)
Masonic Hats: United States:
Today, Masonic hats are worn, ceremonially, in the United States during the time when the lodge is in session. Some Grand Lodges require that the hat be constructed with a brim. Others simply decree that the Worshipful Master remains covered at all times.

Masonic Lodge of Education

Last edited:

widows son

Premium Member
Cool. I never thought of the WM hat allegorically being a crown of Solomon. Im not sure for the rest of canada, but our WM doesn't wear a hat. Not sure for the reason but I will ask now :)

scialytic

Premium Member
I can't speak for the nays specifically, but it is probably for the same reason I posted it: It could be counterintuitive to some if they haven't seen or (in my case) never thought of it.

The Laws of The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas defines the head covering worn by the WM as a crown shaped hat with a full circle brim. It is also worn at the discretion of the presiding WM (i.e. only if he wants to wear it) for funerals, memorials, and open meetings of the Lodge. Otherwise the ancient custom of the Master presiding "covered" must be complied with. And also that *required* religous head coverings are allowed to be worn by the Brethren.

I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks the the most enlightening post Brother Cajun.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I was reading through the Most Worshipful Grand Masters' of Texas Decisions and thought it was an interesting question.

Grand Master's Decision -2006- No. 1 says yes a Jewish Brother may wear a "Yamaka Hat" in the Lodge Room, so long as the brother wearing it does not (a) by wearing the Yamaka challenge the authority of the WM, or (b) seek to make a religious or political statement by wearing it.

Bro. Graham,

That Decision has been superseded by the following:

Art. 278. Master Presiding “Covered.”
The ancient custom of the Master presiding “covered” must be complied with, except that the Brother presiding at Masonic funerals, memorial services, graveside services, or during open meetings of the Lodge, may at his discretion, preside over such services and ceremonies uncovered.

To be “covered” shall mean the wearing of a hat, and a hat is described as a head covering with a shaped crown and a full circle brim. No person other than the presiding Master shall wear any type of head covering, except for required religious head coverings (italics mine), while in Lodge or at other Masonic ceremonies. (Revised 2010)

Last edited:

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
I have to say regardless of a constitutional rule, I would always allow a man be he Sikh, Druze, Jew, etc. to follow his religious tradition in lodge. Its about freedom of and not freedom from.

scialytic

Premium Member
I can't speak for the nays specifically, but it is probably for the same reason I posted it: It could be counterintuitive to some if they haven't seen or (in my case) never thought of it.

The Laws of The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas defines the head covering worn by the WM as a crown shaped hat with a full circle brim. It is also worn at the discretion of the presiding WM (i.e. only if he wants to wear it) for funerals, memorials, and open meetings of the Lodge. Otherwise the ancient custom of the Master presiding "covered" must be complied with. And also that *required* religous head coverings are allowed to be worn by the Brethren.

I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks the the most enlightening post Brother Cajun.

I thought that sounded familiar Brother Bill ;-) ... Though an amateur like myself didn't include the article number (doh!) But again, I learn something new...I now see that the article was revised in 2010. So where does it reflect that the edict was superceded? In the law and proposition documents? Please tell me there isn't *another* place I have to look to interpret the laws <overly-dramatic sigh> (To be completely honest...this is all kind of fun!)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
That's why the law book shows when the article was revised- the most recent version takes precedence over all others.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Guys, are we still on for Waco?

Again, time and place?

I'll probably be late due to the District 30 Grand Master's dinner.

But you can all showup there too?

:21:

scialytic

Premium Member
Friday night at the Cricket something-or-another...I'll PM my cell number so we can synchronize swatches (oh yeah...I just dropped a Parker Lewis Can't Lose ​quote).