My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a brother serve on an investigation committee for a lodge of which he is not a member?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Different jurisdiction, different rules.
of course absolutely! as far as the news media goes, but does Texas consider a summons "news Media?" I mean if the EA or FC is being called as a witness in a trial or as the subject how could you not list their name on a summons, I dont think that summonses are posted anywhere are they?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The general usage involves "published" and "private". As summons are generally either emailed or "snail-mailed", they are considered as being published. Anyone can generally obtain possession of an email or a mailed piece- there is no guarantee that it will only be seen by the intended recipient. As to "trial", are you referring to a Masonic trial or a civil/criminal one? If the former, the witness/defendant & others involved would usually be notified personally. If the latter, it is doubtful that the Masonic connection would be mentioned. Additionally, non-Masons, such as most court personnel, are not bound by Masonic law.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The general usage involves "published" and "private". As summons are generally either emailed or "snail-mailed", they are considered as being published. Anyone can generally obtain possession of an email or a mailed piece- there is no guarantee that it will only be seen by the intended recipient.

Hmmmm....that's an interesting take on it, with mail and email there is presumed privacy, as it is a felony to open someone else's mail and in order to get into my email unless I left the window open on your computer or something of the like, you would have to hack it, which is also a crime. I mean Emails and snail mail I would consider private. Published would be something open to all, a newsletter, a bulletin board posting, a mass emailing ect ect. but as we all know different jurisdictions, different rules. any GL can make any rule they want that is what is so great about this Fraternity!

As to "trial", are you referring to a Masonic trial or a civil/criminal one? If the former, the witness/defendant & others involved would usually be notified personally. If the latter, it is doubtful that the Masonic connection would be mentioned. Additionally, non-Masons, such as most court personnel, are not bound by Masonic law.
I was referring to a Masonic Trail.

Bloke

Premium Member

"Correct" referring to the fact you cannot put a name of a candidate in a summons.

My reaction to that: WOW !

We have a grey area around publishing information as well, but basically things like newsletters can be published under the authority of the master and according to custom, but there is no such grey area on candidates names going into a summons. Candidate's name, address, age and occupation MUST be published in the summons of the lodge where he is proposed AND read in open lodge twice (we meet here monthly, so that means two months), then voted upon and they cannot be initiated on the night they are voted on. Hence we're looking at three months in the best scenario from application to initiation. Additionally, the name, address, age and occupation MUST be forwarded to not less than FOUR lodges in the neighbourhood where he resides and read at the next meeting. The below is the wording (or similar) the WM says after such a notice is received by another lodge, and similar words are used in the lodge where he is proposed;

"If any member of your Lodge is aware of any objection to the initiation of the applicant, it is is requested that he should communicate it to the Grand Secretary for the information of the M.W. Grand Master, within seven days from your meeting.
Any communications will be treated by them as confidential."

Letters do get sent to the Grand Sec, and men's applications can be stopped. I've seen it - it's always been through poor character or lying on an application.

The Traveling Man

From GLoTX Law:
Art. 405a. Publication of Names Prohibited.
The names of Petitioners, Candidates, Entered Apprentice Masons and Fellowcraft Masons shall not be published in a Lodge newsletter or any news media public or private. (Adopted 1990)

We have a similar rule in Michigan. In our summons we use their initials for Candidates, EAs and FCs. MMs have their names spelled out.