My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cajun masons, I need your help!

CajunTinMan

Mushrooms Stuffed with Crab Meat
Ingredients
20 2 inch fresh mushrooms2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp lemon juice1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 pound lump crab meat2 tbsp minced pimento
2 tbsp mayonnaise2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp saltdash of Tabasco or hot sauce
dash of Worcestershire sauce
Directions
Wash and remove stems from mushrooms. Mix the butter, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a frying pan; sauté mushrooms caps. Combine the remaining ingredients and fill the mushroom caps with the mixture. Arrange on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

widows son

Premium Member
Holy cow. Cajun I might as well send you my pay cheque. Thank you so much, all those dishes sound deadly. Sausage bread?!

CajunTinMan

The sausage bread is my favorite. On it you can also add 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese and mix Jalapeños in the dough. My old mayors wife used to make it for us all the time.

CajunTinMan

Also WS if you have anything in particular that you would like to try let me know. I've got recipes everywhere around here I'm sure I can find something for you. I even have a few good Moonshine recipes if you need them. Strickley for educational purposes..... :)

widows son

Premium Member
Man. I'm interested for sure. The crackling sounds deadly, I'm always in for crispy greasy hog skin. Also I would love to be educated in the moonshine arts. My Nonno used to make grappa with his old wine in his basement. It used to make me gag when I would go down there. I don't think anything could survive down there, other than him. He was a different breed I tell ya. But I was also going to ask if there is any local authentic cured meat that you guys do? I've made andouille sausage and Cajun/creole style before, but that's a fresh product.

CajunTinMan

Homemade Tasso

5 lbs Pork
Seasoning:

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Cayenne or To Taste (see above)
4 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

Mix the seasoning together well. Rub the seasoning into the meat, you want a lot on there, call it 1/8 inch, use it all. Place on a plate or tray, cover and refrigerate 3 days.

Before smoking put the Tasso on an elevated rack so that air can circulate around it, then put a fan on it for about 2 hours to dry it out. Also don’t use a water pan when smoking Tasso, this is something that you actually want to dry out during the smoking process.

You can hot smoked this batch in an inexpensive upright barrel smoker using charcoal as the heat source (heated with a chimney starter, no lighter fluid or matchlight coals please.) You can use Pecan chips that were soaked in water for 1 hour for the smoke.
Smoked this a total of about 4 hours, the first 2 hours at about 150-160 degrees F. The second two hours at 180-190 degrees F.
The object is to get as much smoke into the meat, before cooking it all the way through. Bring the internal temperature of the meat to 150 degrees F in the last 2 hours of smoking.
When finished again put the Tasso in front of a fan for about 1 hour. Refrigerate. When completely cold portion and store the Tasso in vacuum sealed packages. Freeze.

Makes 5 lbs of Tasso

Last edited:

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
From my (formerly) Louisiana lady friend:

Darcia's King Cake

Hopefully you have a bread machine. If you do, set it to manual, andthen load it in this order:
1 package quick rise yeast
3 1/4 C. flour (I use a combination of whole wheat and bread flour)
1 t. salt (I use lite salt)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 egg (make a second king cake or rolls or loaves of bread using theother 1/2 or just put in the egg white instead)
a dash of oil or grease or crisco (olive oil or butter is fine)
1 C. water. May need to add a few more T. to make the dough the rightconsistency.
As soon as dough manual cycle is finished, roll the dough on a flouredsurface until it's about 1/2 thick or a bit thinner. Spread a thin layer ofreal butter of the bread, then some cinnamon and sugar, then toasted nuts (Ilike almonds best). Roll it up. Shape the roll into an oval on a greased cookiesheet. Score about 1/2 way through. Let rise to double its size (1-2 hrs in awarm, dry place). Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes and remove, and let coolcompletely on a rack. Insert the baby/babies now. Put the cool king cake on aserving plate. Decorate with purple, green and gold sugar. You may also glazewith a cup of powdered sugar, almond extract and milk or water to thin (I usewater).
Serve.
Succulent!
My bread dough is freely modified version of Tulsa public schools rollrecipe from my childhood. It makes a great roll or loaf of bread. The recipeneeds to be cut in half if you are dumb enough to like baking it directly inthe bread machine and like that freakishly thick crust that develops. If youdon't have a bread machine, you can check in a bread recipe for adapting theorder of adding ingredients. The dough needs to rise twice before shapingbegins.