My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burial places of founders of world religions

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
What I find interesting about the issue of the authenticity of Church of the Holy Sepulchre vs. the "Garden Tomb" is to contrast the attestations of the two.

Holy Sepulchre: Long oral and written tradition, based on millenia of use and practices, maintained by organizations that, for all their stuffiness and accretions, do tend to be very picky about how things get done. It looks old-fashioned. It has centuries of additional ornamentation around it, which could distract. There are lots of old men politicking over it, usually in very obscure ways.

Garden Tomb: "Found in a dream" in the 19th century by an English traveler. Its adherents "feel" that it's the "right one". For all its alleged ancient authenticity, it managed to escape any notice for over 1000 years, then it sprang into public knowledge out of nowhere. It's pretty, no accretions. It satisfies surface desires for what we're told it "ought" to look like.

Reminds me of contrasting Freemasonry with newly-minted groups that claim to provide "the same thing" or "even better" experiences.

Last edited: