My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balloting in an E.A. Lodge (Texas)

Canadian Paul

Lodges in the two jurisdictions here have always worked in the First Degree and had EAs and FCs sitting in lodge for the business part of the meetings. Naturally, they have to leave the lodge when it moves to a higher degree so there is still 'mystery and motivation' to lead them to look forward to being passed or raised, On the other hand, they get to know their fellow lodge brothers and to feel really part of the lodge. In going through the bodies of the Scottish Rite in a very small Valley that worked the obligatory degrees one at a time I had to wait the best part of a year to get to sit in a Lodge of Perfection after getting my Fourth Degree and I cannot say having to wait increased my motivation one little bit.

Bloke

Premium Member
You don't see everything when we (always) open in the first. You're admitted after opening and on commencement of doing your first degree. You might see the close on your first meeting if you are readmitted, but commonly you are not. If readmitted you will see closing in the first.. On your second meeting, you see the opening in the first as an EA. I think opening in the first is good because it increases participation. Americans stopped doing it due to fear of cowans gaining admittance after the Morgan affair (as i understand it). Oh, and if a visitor arrives, you would test them as mm's even if opening in the first.

At the end of the day, what probably matters more is what you say and how you educate and act towards candiate rather than what degree you open in.

One thing i do know, if it was proposed we start opening in the third, i would strongly vote against. We progress candidates slowly (can't be made a mm for atleast 52 weeks), its a hell of a long time to stand outside.....

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We progress candidates slowly (can't be made a mm for atleast 52 weeks), its a hell of a long time to stand outside.....
Here it is possible to go through the three degrees in as little as 84 days so the wait is not near as long as in your country. I am still partial to opening on the MM degree.

Last edited: