My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Tattoos permissable ?

youngblood2002

I have heard some say that getting a tattoo is a violation of our obligation. I have even heard of some being banned from freemasonry. I have heard a WM say that it is ok as long as when /if the tattoo is seen you must be "In order"...what to do?

ess1113

Premium Member
What part of the obligation would that violate?
It is the internal qualifications not the external qualifications....

I can tell you that there is NOTHING in the GLOT landmarks, or the law book that forbid tattoos of any kind in any manner. I just had to research this specific topic since we had an elderly member tell a young EA, with many visible tattoos, that he shouldnt be a mason if he had tattoos. It wasnt his place to say anything like that and it hurt the EA and his opinion of the member, and the lodge.

Anyones personal opinion of tattoos have no place in the lodge. You can hold your own opinion but exhibiting restraint in expressing them is a mark of maturity and true Masonic beliefs.

Dont let the presence of absence of a tattoo taint your opinion of anyone.

Eric

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
One caveat; text tattoos are popular, but I would see "writing" anything to be a violation. Symbols, on the other hand, are how we have expressed ourselves for centuries.

I have considered getting one, possibly Father Time and the Weeping Virgin.

Cressey

One caveat; text tattoos are popular, but I would see "writing" anything to be a violation. Symbols, on the other hand, are how we have expressed ourselves for centuries.

I have considered getting one, possibly Father Time and the Weeping Virgin.

I love the Father Time And Weeping Virgin image, one of my favorites. I was thinking it would make a beautiful tattoo. If you decide to get it make sure you post pics.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
No. Not all jusridictions prohibit tattoos.

A lot of Brethren that I know have tattoos and even Masonic tattoos...

Ed Nelson

I raised some eyebrows when the members of my lodge saw me initiated with my 2 half-sleeves, a chest piece, and two tattoos on my back. Most came up to me afterwords and complemented the colorful work. Not a single person said anything negative.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I raised some eyebrows when the members of my lodge saw me initiated with my 2 half-sleeves, a chest piece, and two tattoos on my back. Most came up to me afterwords and complemented the colorful work. Not a single person said anything negative.

I was in exactly the same situation with my fellow Brethren when I went through the degrees...

Last edited:

California Master

You have tattoos, Brother Ed??? Oh yeah, I've got some too. I even have a Masonic tat on my left arm. So, I guess it's okay by me.

Newwardorder

We'd have to boot half our members - including the recently raised owner of a local tattoo parlor - if ink was a disqualifier.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Ghee! Do you think we're back to the lessons not always learned?

Let's think here ... oh yes. It goes something like this.

"that it is the internal and not the external qualifications"

When will we ever learn,
When will we ever learn.

rpbrown

Premium Member
You would have to boot most of our lodge including a couple of 60 year members.

I have tattoos, several in fact. Most are christian in nature, some are masonic symbols, and some are patriotic.

Bill Hosler

I personally don't like tattoos but I would never tell anyone not to get one or vote aganst a man who has them. Its their body and their decision.

I think what the Brother is refering to is the section of the EA obligation (Forgive my Indiana ritual :) ) "I will not write, print, paint, cut, carve, hew mark or engrave or anything movabale or inmoveable....."

I have alway thought that was the secrets of Masonry but some older Brethren think everything in Masonry is secret.

crono782

Premium Member
The only food for thought I was told in regards to Masonic tattoos was that you are able to display masonic stickers, jewelry, etc as a MM, but suppose you got convicted of a felony and had your membership revoked an could no longer display the stickers or jewelry. If you had a permanent tattoo, well you get the idea.

daddyrich

I am quite well covered in tattoos and this was one of the reasons I used to convince myself for years that I shouldn't petition. Of course, when I finally did all brothers didn't have a single negative thing to say and those who have asked have been overwhelmingly supportive and understanding. Many of them are/were WWII veterans, among the first wave of inked Americans and I was pleased to not see or hear one negative thing. Most of mine are Pagan/Masonic or otherwise Occult/Esoteric.

jwhoff

Premium Member
The only food for thought I was told in regards to Masonic tattoos was that you are able to display masonic stickers, jewelry, etc as a MM, but suppose you got convicted of a felony and had your membership revoked an could no longer display the stickers or jewelry. If you had a permanent tattoo, well you get the idea.

Not a bad thought.

But I suppose you could add one more of a natt straining while swallowing a camel.

You're in a pickle either way.

Bill Hosler

I was thinkimg along the same line. Ever have a friend tattoo his girlfriends name on his arm then break up with her? I have hd a lot of friends demit from Masonry for various reasons. How would you deal with a Masonic tattoo if you decided you longer wanted to be a member?

bubba806

I have "straight edge" tattoos and while I no longer live that lifestyle I still cherish my tattoos as a piece of me and a part of the history that made me who I am today