My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apron opinions?

ARizo1011

Premium Member
In Tennessee, you get your actual leather apron when you are raised, but as I told a newly made Master Mason today, "the next time you wear that, you'll be at room temperature!"

I know some states give the presentation apron to EAs, but I'm glad we don't do that. If you give it to an EA, and he never completes his degrees, you've just wasted an apron and the value thereof.

In Fl.. Well at least In Miami there's an apron presentation but it's symbolic. You don't keep the white leather or lambskin apron.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Here, every Mason is presented a leather apron that is his to keep and be placed on him at burial. The underside of the bib has all his Masonic information inscribed on it. It is included in the price of the three degrees. He is to wear it twice: the night he is raised and the day he is laid to rest.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The ritual in the EA degree says you're presented with an apron. Some lodges take that literally; other lodges wait until later. Because not all brothers ever advance it's possible for an old lodge to build up a lot of aprons that were presented to EAs and FCs who were never raised. I think this is why a lot of lodges now wait until raising or proficiency until the permanent presentation. As US jurisdictions evolve away from the Baltimore Convention back to the world wide standard of EA membership, expect this tradition to evolve.

If your lodge has a built up collection of old aprons from brothers who never advanced it's kind of cool to start using them up presenting them to brothers raised. Depict it as a reference to the past. Value it as frugality. Use the word frugal instead of the word cheap. Not that they have different meanings. ;^)

Coin. That is another neat regional variation. Different ways to deal with an event near the end of a first degree.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Not a fan of the coin thing, personally. I feel the lesson is complete as it stands.

I'd love to read (or hear) the lecture given in those states that say "you'll only wear this twice." Is that actually in the lecture, or just an addition that crept in later? (Like the coin...)

tomoso

At one on my Lodges, we have an Apron night where you are to wear your original apron. Interesting to see the old aprons. It also helps to remind you where it is and helps remind a spouse where it can be found.

Willys

Premium Member
Not a fan of the coin thing, personally. I feel the lesson is complete as it stands.

I'd love to read (or hear) the lecture given in those states that say "you'll only wear this twice." Is that actually in the lecture, or just an addition that crept in later? (Like the coin...)
I think that comes during the entertainment part of the degree...

From the Texas Monitor of the Lodge, 1982...
...the special gift of this Lodge, is yours to wear upon all proper occasions throughout an honorable life, and at your death, is to be placed upon the coffin that contains your lifeless remains and with them shall be laid beneath the silent clods of the valley.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Very similar to NM...
"It is yours; yours to wear throughout an honorable life, and at your death to be deposited on the casket which shall enclose your lifeless remains, and with them laid in the grave."

Morris

Premium Member
I'm Also from NM. We had guys who never finished and were given their apron. Since they technically paid for it we didn't mind.

Also, I was encouraged to wear mine. I messed up and put it in storage when I moved overseas. I ordered another plain leather one to travel with till I get my goods.

Illuminatio

Premium Member
Just as an update to my original post, I was able to come to solid decision on which direction I felt was the most appropriate and perfect for me at the same time. So, earlier this week after several emails back and forth and a couple phone calls, I officially placed the order for my personal, unique apron that Brother Patrick Craddock helped me design. He should have it completed and shipped to me in about 6 weeks. Can't wait to see it in person and share! I'll post an update when it comes in.

(Sidebar: I believe it was trysquare that mentioned Brother Craddock's work earlier in the thread. I didn't want to say anything at the time, but I had already decided before I wrote the initial post that I wanted to get something from him. His work is just incredible.)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would feel out of place wearing a custom apron. In my lodge, except for officers in our lodge and visiting from GL, all the brothers wear the aprons that the lodge provides. Otherwise I would like to get one of my own.

Illuminatio

Premium Member
I would feel out of place wearing a custom apron. In my lodge, except for officers in our lodge and visiting from GL, all the brothers wear the aprons that the lodge provides. Otherwise I would like to get one of my own.

I definitely understand. I think you'll like what we came up with for mine, Warrior. Looking forward to being able to share it. :)

Rifleman1776

The apron is pure white for a reason. Wait until you are issued one for a chair you have been elected to. Getting fancy is not a part of Freemasonry. BTW, my pure white lambskin was presented to me when I was raised along with a Bible.

MarkR

Premium Member
Getting fancy is not a part of Freemasonry.
That's a matter of opinion, not supported by history. Hand-painted and embroidered custom aprons were the norm in American lodges prior to the industrial revolution. Currently, in no other part of the world is it customary to wear the worn-out plain cloth aprons from the pile by the tyler's station. Master Masons are expected to own a proper apron of their own.

Rifleman1776

That's a matter of opinion, not supported by history. Hand-painted and embroidered custom aprons were the norm in American lodges prior to the industrial revolution. Currently, in no other part of the world is it customary to wear the worn-out plain cloth aprons from the pile by the tyler's station. Master Masons are expected to own a proper apron of their own.
Cannot debate what you said. I have only attended lodges in Arkansas and Missouri. Except for past officers, I have never seen MM bring his own fancy apron to lodge. I do have my own, a lambskin presented to me when I was raised. It stays in a drawer where my family will (hopefully) find it at my death. Have only used the "worn-out" aprons provided by the lodge.

MasterBulldawg

Brothers,

I believe the tradition of using Lodge aprons started after the big boom during World War II and directly thereafter when are fraternity experience great growth. I think it was done more out of convenience then to have everyone look equal. I think many of us equate a personalized apron with being fancy and I don't think any brother that has his own apron is doing for show. But to take pride in being a Mason.

Levelhead

Premium Member
I got mine and i felt i should keep it all white. Simple Square and Compass stitched on it with an all seeing eye also in white stitching. All white so at first glance it looks like just a plain white apron. Under the flap were my important dates (entered, passed, raised) tucked away under the flap so its to my own recollection of whats there.

I would just feel wrong if i got a fancy colored decorated apron when i don't have the full light available in masonry! I have as much light as a master mason is entitled. And i always look for further light.

I think id personally look like im trying to show off if i got anything more then an all white apron in and out.