My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Masonic View of of the Deity? Maybe or Not, but Funny:

MaineMason

This story, from an unknown source but a long-told yarn in Maine (source: "A Cruising Guide to the New England Coast, Duncan and Ware, Dodd, Mead & Company, NY, NY, 1972/pg 340) typifies the attitudes of the old school Masons I have gotten to know here, and many folks who are not Masons regarding their view of the Deity:

An old fisherman used to use his sloop to take summer vacationers out on coastal cruises and ended up in rough water while approaching Seguin, near some dangerous ledges and the tidal basin of the Kennebec River. His passengers were quite scared by the water washing over the bow and rails, and suggested the Captain might oblige them and offer a prayer for their safety (which, I suppose, in maritime history a Captain might be obliged to do). The captain, knowing they'd be soon in the safety of a good harbor said he'd offer a prayer if it would ease their anxiety. They knelt at the helm and the Captain offered the following prayer:

"Lord, I never have interfered in your affairs and you have always used me right. But these people have asked me to speak with you. Now I know we'll get in all right, but if you would like to make these people feel a lot better, you can go ahead and calm the waters. But just remember, Lord, this isn't the Sea of Galilee. This is the North Atlantic Ocean."

They soon came to safety, just as the Captain had assured them.

I often wonder if that Captain was a Mason. Given the history of my state, he very well may have been one. He sure has the old school attitude of many of the old timers here, especially those who work on the water.

MaineMason

Very interesting. As I understand it this is a good example Deism.
I would say it is as well. It's something my father might say in a prayer. Deism, sometimes expressed as Unitarianism or in other ways, is very much alive in New England. Maine, it should be noted, is the least "religious" (as expressed in membership in organized religious bodies of all kinds) state in the Union. We've also got a lot of Freemasons.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would say it is as well. It's something my father might say in a prayer. Deism, sometimes expressed as Unitarianism or in other ways, is very much alive in New England. Maine, it should be noted, is the least "religious" (as expressed in membership in organized religious bodies of all kinds) state in the Union. We've also got a lot of Freemasons.
That is one of the things that drew me to Masonry, all religious beliefs are accepted with no questions asked EXCEPT a belief in a Supreme Being.

dfreybur

Premium Member
When I read the pray in the story I remembered a song I've heard on the radio.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rodneyatkins/watchingyou.html

"... Then this side of bedtime later that night
Turning on my son's Scooby Doo nightlight
He crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees
He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
And spoke to God like he was talking to a friend
And I said son now where'd you learn to pray like that

[Chorus two]

He said I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool ..."

Like he was talking to a friend. An example my brothers worthy of all imitation. That's how I want to pray more often than I manage to pull off so far.

promason

profound,profound,more important than religion,spirituality,yep,yep,yep,deep,deep,magnific weekend everyone,magnific,blessings,magnific weekend,magnific,bye,continue make good better,yep,yep,yep,bye,

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I'm an Anglican, as well as a Freemason, and frankly I'm not convinced the God interferes. I don't think some of our forefathers thought so either.
I sometimes contemplate the same thing. Did the Supreme Being create us, give us a set of instructions, then sit back to see what we would do?