My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bridge to light

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Are you a Southern Baptist and getting pressure from your church regarding your membership in Freemasonry? If not, it's just words on a website. Yawn. If this article makes your blood boil, wait till you read what a couple popes have written!
Or Ankerberg or John Chick or….

Brother JStoffo

Good one. I was born and raised a Catholic and almost became a Priest until they informed me of the whole abstinence thing. I had to leave the Catholic Church when I became a Mason and read the Papal Bull "In eminenti apostolatus". Now I am content with the various teachings of all religions as presented throughout the 32 degrees of the Scottish rite Southern Jurisdiction.

Brother JStoffo

Ooooooh! That Jack Chick fella was scary. I have never seen one single Baphomet photo or reference in any Masonic Lodge or Scottish Rite Temple. But I'm sure that didn't stop people from getting wound up by the cartoons. There are still anti Masonic tendencies by the profane. I get it from friends and clients regularly.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Good one. I was born and raised a Catholic and almost became a Priest until they informed me of the whole abstinence thing. I had to leave the Catholic Church when I became a Mason and read the Papal Bull "In eminenti apostolatus". Now I am content with the various teachings of all religions as presented throughout the 32 degrees of the Scottish rite Southern Jurisdiction.
You were aware of the celibacy requirement until you almost became a priest?

The AASR does include not teachings of all religions.

Last edited:

Winter

Premium Member
How does the SR teach all religions?

Brother JStoffo

As you probably know, I cannot disclose specifics about the degrees. If you go to the Scottish Rite site and download the power points to all of them, you will find your answer. Throughout all of the degrees, you will see references to Phoenician, Samaritan, Hebrew Kabbalistic symbolism, Persian and Christian doctrine including the direct teachings of Jesus Christ and his brother, Andrew. But especially look at the 24th degree, Prince of the Tabernacle. That says it all in my view. All of this in the backdrop of Egyptian and Latin (Pegan) characters. Including lots of Hermetic philosophy as well. If this does not represent the greatest teachings of all beliefs, then I don't know what does. Also, I was 13 when my parents sent me to the Seminary so, no I wasn't aware of the celibacy requirement.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
This article made my blood boil a little. Comparing Scottish Rite Masonry with a pagan Occult which is incompatible with Christianity.

<cough>

1692786517111.jpeg

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
As you probably know, I cannot disclose specifics about the degrees. If you go to the Scottish Rite site and download the power points to all of them, you will find your answer. Throughout all of the degrees, you will see references to Phoenician, Samaritan, Hebrew Kabbalistic symbolism, Persian and Christian doctrine including the direct teachings of Jesus Christ and his brother, Andrew. But especially look at the 24th degree, Prince of the Tabernacle. That says it all in my view. All of this in the backdrop of Egyptian and Latin (Pegan) characters. Including lots of Hermetic philosophy as well. If this does not represent the greatest teachings of all beliefs, then I don't know what does. Also, I was 13 when my parents sent me to the Seminary so, no I wasn't aware of the celibacy requirement.
Those aren’t all the religions.

Jesus didn’t have a brother named Andrew. His brothers all had names beginning with J: James, Joses, Judas (Jude).

Brother JStoffo

Andrew the Disciple, sorry. Let me rephrase to Beliefs rather than Religions. Would you consider philosophy and belief? I think it was Earnest Borgnine 33* who said that the Scottish Rite is all the Religion he needs. Does Zombie thread mean we should just stop now? I am kind of new to this forum.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Andrew the Disciple, sorry. Let me rephrase to Beliefs rather than Religions. Would you consider philosophy and belief? I think it was Earnest Borgnine 33* who said that the Scottish Rite is all the Religion he needs. Does Zombie thread mean we should just stop now? I am kind of new to this forum.
It does not consider all beliefs or philosophies.

If Borgnine said that I would be most disappointed. Freemasonry offers no salvatory path or ordinances. The 33 doesn’t add anything to one credibility.

It appears we have joined you in the zombie zeitgeist.

Winter

Premium Member
Could you post the source for that quote so we can see it in context.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
His religion now, he says, is Freemasonry. "I am very happy to say that I'm a 33rd degree Grand Cross Master Mason in the Scottish Rite. We believe in one thing, God. We believe in another thing: to help your fellow man. Be as kind as you can be to everybody. We support and take care of our own hospitals; we have a retirement plan, charities. You don't have to go to church. If you can do good like that, what's better?"

Brother JStoffo

After going through the Scottish Rite rituals, honestly, I don't know which specific organized religion would be a good fit as there are great lessons in all of them. Clearly the Catholic Church will not have me now that I am a Freemason. Not my call. I don't know of a Hebrew, Christian, Stoic, Taoist, Buddhist, Hindu Temple. Still looking. Open to suggestions. Is not salvation attained by striving to be a good, God-fearing man and one who follows all of our Masonic virtues? Believing that we do have an immortal soul and that we must act appropriately in this life on this planet to enable said soul to move on to a better place? Isn't that salvation?

Brother JStoffo

There is a Masonry AS Religion thread. Should I move there? It's kind of old and this is really getting off topic from Bridge to Light, isn't it? If I were looking for a conversation of Masonry AS religion, the forum would take me to that thread. I will repost the above there.

Winter

Premium Member
There is a Masonry AS Religion thread. Should I move there? It's kind of old and this is really getting off topic from Bridge to Light, isn't it? If I were looking for a conversation of Masonry AS religion, the forum would take me to that thread. I will repost the above there.
Since I started that Freemasonry as religion thread I give you leave to necro it. :) It would be more appropriate there.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
One does n
After going through the Scottish Rite rituals, honestly, I don't know which specific organized religion would be a good fit as there are great lessons in all of them. Clearly the Catholic Church will not have me now that I am a Freemason. Not my call. I don't know of a Hebrew, Christian, Stoic, Taoist, Buddhist, Hindu Temple. Still looking. Open to suggestions. Is not salvation attained by striving to be a good, God-fearing man and one who follows all of our Masonic virtues? Believing that we do have an immortal soul and that we must act appropriately in this life on this planet to enable said soul to move on to a better place? Isn't that salvation?
One does not usually choose a faith path because it is compatible with his fraternity. The reverse would be expected.

There are some 2,000 Christian sects.

and those sects will often have differing views of the requirements for salvation and the definition of salvation. I’m unaware of any which define it as following masonic virtues. I’m not even sure if there is agreement as to what those are.

Winter

Premium Member
Realistically, who has the right to define salvation for another? If a person is an adherent to a particular faith, then there is probably an expectation that they would ascribe to that definition. But, as a non Christian, I can definitely say that the Xtian definition of salvation is no more applicable to me than it would be for a Budhist Brother. If a Brother who is not an adherent of an organized faith wants to define it for themselves, who are we to say they are wrong?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Realistically, who has the right to define salvation for another? If a person is an adherent to a particular faith, then there is probably an expectation that they would ascribe to that definition. But, as a non Christian, I can definitely say that the Xtian definition of salvation is no more applicable to me than it would be for a Budhist Brother. If a Brother who is not an adherent of an organized faith wants to define it for themselves, who are we to say they are wrong?
Oh, no one, except for adherents, but our inquirer posed it as a question of how salvation is obtained.

Which Christian view of salvation? If you take the usual two courses in undergraduate theology soteriology, you will find a range of beliefs in the doctrine. This is rather the point I tried to make just before: saying “Christianity‘ doesn’t really get us to a particular belief system, other than there was someone named Jesus.

Bloke

Premium Member
Does Zombie thread mean we should just stop now? I am kind of new to this forum.
Hello Bro

Thanks for your question.

Commenting in old threads can be controversial. Some have strong views on it either way. I do see an issue with it when replying to people who have left the forum. There are different etiquettes on different forums AND with different users.

My personal opinion, is I like to keep a board organised by topic, so am more open to reviving and old thread than some... especially if a specific thing like a book review.. If a review was posted 10 years ago, the old view might be interesting and having it in one place makes the forum more searchable... I would comment in the old thread (and expect an eye-roll from some) on a very specific topic, but avoid reviving one which was very old, most participants were not around anymore and was already very long..

The most important thing is to keep things civil. To discuss it here would really see the thread drift. Maybe start a poll or thread on the topic ?