My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help... profane with no end in sight

fairmanjd

Hey Gents: Once again thanks for the awesome website. Have a question concerning Masonic law. I am soon moving stateside and have been in touch with two lodges in the vicinity of where I will be living. One has brought up a point of Masonic Law that one is required to have lived in the state where I am moving for a year and have lived in that particular lodge's jurisdiction for at least six months prior to petitioning. I don't have a problem with the six month requirement... in my opinion it would take that long to get to know the members of a lodge and for them to get to know you on even a basic level. The requirement to have lived there for a year prior to becoming an active member is what worries me. Given my job as a military officer, I can expect to move every two and a half to three years. Either way, my up and coming assignment is going to afford me the opportunity to be very active in the community in which we will be living (something I've been looking forward to after spending most of the last four and a half years forward deployed). I was hoping, however, that my activity in the community could be through the local lodge.
Any military officers out there who are current Masons have any experience with this or ideas???

Your opinion/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Every applicant for the benefits of Masonry must have resided twelve months within the State and six months within the jurisdiction of the Lodge to which he applies.
A Lodge shall determine the qualifications of every petitioner as to residence on the basis of two factors:
1. Actual physical presence of the petitioner in the state for twelve (12) months, and within the jurisdiction of the Lodge for six (6) months, and,
2. The intent of the petitioner to remain in such jurisdiction permanently.
These factors are to be considered without regard to the fact that petitioner may be in the military service or pursues an occupation which requires frequent absences from the jurisdiction of the Lodge.
Residence is established by actual physical presence of the petitioner in the state for twelve (12) months and in the jurisdiction of the Lodge for six (6) months, coupled with an intent on the part of the petitioner to make such place his permanent home.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I don't know where you are, but that particular Grand Lodge or Grand Master might be willing to make an exception based upon your circumstances. I'd check with the Secretary of the Lodge you're interested in joining- he should be able to check with his Grand Lodge & find out if such is possible. Good luck with your quest.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Fairmanjd:

I see from your profile that you are located in Okinawa, have you thought of petitioning a lodge there?
If you succeed with your petition there (IPR); the rest is a cake walk (you then can affiliate with a local lodge). Are the only lodge selections in your locale military?
Just some ideas…

I assume those regulations/laws you mentioned are the requirements of the jurisdiction where you will finally reside? The terms to affiliate are very different as opposed to the standard petition. (Read: Domicile requirements).

Last edited:

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
What area are you moving to? Ft Hood, Bliss, Ellington ect... just curious. I am a veteran of the Army, 6 years ets Jan 06 2005 and now reside in the Houston area. I would be happy to help in any way that I can. Just let me know what you need.

Kyle

H

Huw

Indeed that's an unusually stringent requirement, fairmanjd. A residence requirement is pretty standard, but also requiring a declaration of intent to reside permanently is not normal - in fact I've never before seen such a strict rule. That must make it very difficult for military guys! It'd also make it difficult for a guy who's making his career in one state but plans to retire to another state - he wouldn't be able to join until he retired!

I guess that a lot of the military plan to return to their home states after their service, and a rule like this would mean he wouldn't be allowed to join the Craft during his service unless he coincidentally happened to get a posting in his home state. Fortunately most GLs aren't so strict about your long-term intentions as the one you're quoting here ... I seem to recall from another thread that you're talking about Florida, yes?

I can imagine a couple of ways ahead for you, but both would require some sort of waiver of rules. Either you can explain your circumstances to the guys in Florida and they might be able to obtain permission for you to join there regardless of your long-term intentions. Or if your long-term intention (after service) is definitely to return home to Texas, then possibly GLoTX could agree to waive its own residence requirement and allow you to affiliate with a Texas lodge whilst you're out of state (in which case they could ask a Florida lodge to confer degrees on behalf of Texas).

It all seems very odd to me, however. Obviously there are loads of guys in the military and other highly-mobile careers, so this sort of problem must arise quite often. This rule looks as if it's specifically designed to keep such guys out of freemasonry, and why the heck would we want to keep the military out?

Does anyone know what other GLs have a rule like this one, requiring permanent intentions instead of just current residence?

T & F,

Huw

fairmanjd

Gentlemen:
Thank you very much for your insights and opinions. Please keep them coming. As far as my current location, the lodge where I currently reside falls under the Grand Lodge of the Phillipines. The jurisdiction where I move to falls under Florida. I had thought about petitioning over here, but I have only been back on island from deployment for about two and a half months; and since I am leaving in about a month, that would be unrealistic at this point.
Huw, that's a great idea I hadn't even thought of; I didn't know that was even an option. The officers that replied from both of the lodges I have been in contact with have told me to be sure and contact them when I get there. Only one of them brought up that particular point of Masonic law. Perhaps, I should just respectfully petition the lodge that didn't note that particular sub-paragraph; but I plan on Masonry being a life-long pursuit; and it means alot to me to make sure I am doing everything the right way.
I don't mean this to be arrogant when I say this; and I can see and understand that it must be very frustrating to the membership of a lodge them to admit and teach and put so much effort into a man that is going to end up leaving within a few years; but I can assure the bretherin that as far as I (and most of my fellow Marine Officers) go, Freemasonry as a whole will probably get a good return on that investment.
As stated, please don't take that as me trying to toot my own horn. Freemasonry has been around in it's present form for nearly three-hundred years; I am fully aware it will continue regardless of the successful petition of one man. Perhaps this is all just a misunderstanding or wrong implementation of the policy. It's pretty much a non-issue until I get me and my family established in Florida and get a feel for what my work-hours, church schedule, etc will be.
I just want to make sure I am setting myself up for success and doing everything I can to make it as convenient as possible for the particular lodge I petition.

Thanks, and Very Respectfully.

N8rod

Being in the military you should be granted a resident of that state one you get into a house.With my lodge here in Texas that hasn't been a problem for military people that I've seen.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I can see and understand that it must be very frustrating to the membership of a lodge them to admit and teach and put so much effort into a man that is going to end up leaving within a few years

Not at all- we are proud to have good men & true join our Fraternity, wheresoever dispersed. It is an honor to a Lodge to have a man join & seek Light, even though circumstances will dictate that he will not remain among us, except in spirit. Remember, ALL of us will end up leaving our Lodges some day, one way or another.