My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Mother Lodge

Kangabrother

Premium Member
On 7th. January 1975 I was initiated into Freemasonry as an Entered Apprentice in this Lodge, Port Lincoln Lewis Lodge No. 198 (Jurisdiction of The Grand Lodge of South Australia & Northern Territory). In September of that year I was raised to the degree of Master Mason. This is my home town. Sadly, Lodge No. 198 is no longer in operation although the building is home to Port Lincoln Lodge No. 45. Nearly 44 years later, and having moved many times, I still miss the atmosphere and brotherhood I first found here.

I am now a member of Parndana Lodge No. 206, on Kangaroo Island, South Australia, where I am privileged to serve as Secretary.

If any Brother would care to share photos of their lodge of Initiaton, I would be pleased to see them.

Kind Fraternal Regards,
David
63be57720c124d653dfd120f19154157.jpg

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry mobile app

David612

E2D5E850-A44F-4CC0-A3B9-4D4731D99C95.jpeg

Not a great shot as it’s besmirched by my ugly mug however that’s the Canberra Masonic Center in the back ground.
If your are ever up this way brother give me a yell, We have a half dozen lodges that meet here.
Plus another temple over the boarder.

Bloke

Premium Member
Greetings from Victoria - and a lovely building Kanga - how old is it ?

I have seen many building in Victoria and even beyond. Adelaide GL building is on my list of ones to see..

Kangabrother

Premium Member
Thanks kindly-
That was a shot just befor the meeting after my initiation.
I’d highly recommend a visit if you are able-
There are a few different cultures in the local lodges however visitation is frequent so I can never remember who belongs where.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing sometimes. I’m pretty good with faces/names and we don’t get too many visitors due to our location. They seem to be the same from year to year except at our Installations. If you ever happen to come down our way for a holiday you are guaranteed a warm welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Kangabrother

Premium Member
Greetings from Victoria - and a lovely building Kanga - how old is it ?

I have seen many building in Victoria and even beyond. Adelaide GL building is on my list of ones to see..

Hello Bloke, thanks for the greeting. The Port Lincoln Masonic Hall ( 5 Bligh Street ) was consecrated on 4th. April 1898. The original Lodge to operate here was Port Lincoln Lodge No. 45, which still occupies the premises today. I’ve been living in Vic., Tas., NSW., and Qld so haven’t been “home” for 40 years. Time for a trip back maybe? The Grand Lodge building in Adelaide is certainly a spectacular example of classic architecture, and worth a visit. You could always combine a trip to see it with a trip down to KI. We would certainly make you welcome. Only risk is you may not want to leave! Cheers, David S.

Bloke

Premium Member
Hello Bloke, thanks for the greeting. The Port Lincoln Masonic Hall ( 5 Bligh Street ) was consecrated on 4th. April 1898. The original Lodge to operate here was Port Lincoln Lodge No. 45, which still occupies the premises today. I’ve been living in Vic., Tas., NSW., and Qld so haven’t been “home” for 40 years. Time for a trip back maybe? The Grand Lodge building in Adelaide is certainly a spectacular example of classic architecture, and worth a visit. You could always combine a trip to see it with a trip down to KI. We would certainly make you welcome. Only risk is you may not want to leave! Cheers, David S.
Thank you Brother - next time you are in Melb - I'll show you over our building !

David612

Yes, it can be a bit confusing sometimes. I’m pretty good with faces/names and we don’t get too many visitors due to our location. They seem to be the same from year to year except at our Installations. If you ever happen to come down our way for a holiday you are guaranteed a warm welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app
Full disclosure-
Out building isn’t the most ancient or the most grand.. but we have beer, whiskey and a club next door.

Kangabrother

Premium Member
http://pasadenalodge272.org/

The web page starts with a photo of the building.

Greetings drfeybur,
Thanks for posting this link. I really enjoyed reading it. I am just a little envious that you have such a well developed online presence. I am Secretary of our Lodge, and have tried to get agreement to build a Facebook page as a means of outreach to the wider, particularly younger, community. The suggestion has met with mostly strong resistance and even threats of resignation if it proceeds. Many Lodges in our jurisdiction have pages, which they use to good effect.

David612

Greetings drfeybur,
Thanks for posting this link. I really enjoyed reading it. I am just a little envious that you have such a well developed online presence. I am Secretary of our Lodge, and have tried to get agreement to build a Facebook page as a means of outreach to the wider, particularly younger, community. The suggestion has met with mostly strong resistance and even threats of resignation if it proceeds. Many Lodges in our jurisdiction have pages, which they use to good effect.

The DGIWs here in Districts 47&48 have been doing a HUGE facebook push-
It’s been very positive however I don’t have an exact figure for how many good candidates it brings to the door-
Personally I dont like FB but for the craft to not have something going on leaves a lot on the table.

Kangabrother

Premium Member
The DGIWs here in Districts 47&48 have been doing a HUGE facebook push-
It’s been very positive however I don’t have an exact figure for how many good candidates it brings to the door-
Personally I dont like FB but for the craft to not have something going on leaves a lot on the table.

I believe it can be a great advantage, if it is managed and moderated properly. Many other Lodges in our jurisdiction run Facebook pages to great effect. Our lodge is diminishing in numbers; at each meeting we have just enough members to fill the chairs! Average age is over 60, with only 4 under 50. No candidates on the horizon. However, with such a small membership I am going to not pursue the matter for fear of sowing dissent. I believe it is best, sadly, to let this run its natural course.