My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History of Masonic Architecture?

Quintin

Hey everyone!

I want to learn more about the history of masonic architecture. Does anyone know of any good sources? Are there any good articles on the masonic "style" and its development?

I'd also really be curious to learn about the history behind your specific lodges. I'm a pretty recent master mason (raised just before the virus hit)--so there's still plenty for me to learn. I find myself particularly interested in just how Freemasonry "works" as an organization. For those of you that are in attractive, typically masonic lodges, do you know the history of how they were constructed? i.e. where funding came from, were outside architects used, what stylistic guidelines were they given, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Bloke

Premium Member
Hey everyone!

I want to learn more about the history of masonic architecture. Does anyone know of any good sources? Are there any good articles on the masonic "style" and its development?

I'd also really be curious to learn about the history behind your specific lodges. I'm a pretty recent master mason (raised just before the virus hit)--so there's still plenty for me to learn. I find myself particularly interested in just how Freemasonry "works" as an organization. For those of you that are in attractive, typically masonic lodges, do you know the history of how they were constructed? i.e. where funding came from, were outside architects used, what stylistic guidelines were they given, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Google will be your friend..

Here is the history of our building https://www.lodgedevotion.net/gipps...d-united-masonic-temple-trust-a-brief-history

here is what I think was the coolest masonic building in my city
https://www.lodgedevotion.net/devot...ion-hall-3-rochester-road-canterbury-victoria

Generally, I would say Masonic Architects take inspiration from the past - but also work in the style (and to the price) of the day.. that's part of the reason Masonic Architecture is so diverse.
Also, many current masonic buildings have been something in the past which has been cheap and come on the market.. hence you see a lot of old churches and school houses as masonic buildings..

Last edited: