My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FC Degree Question

E

eagle1966

I attended and worked as Master of Ceremonies in small lodge last month and there were two FC conferred . My question about what was done is: is it legal/proper to have both canidates go thru the second section together? I know that you can give the lectures to multiple canidates.

this has bothered me ever since it happened as I had not seen it done.

tomasball

Premium Member
I think you may be asking about the "latter part" of the First Section. The answer is, ONLY the lecture and charge may be given to multiple candidates.

Zack

In my jurisdiction (Fl) the second section of the FC degree, in its entirety, is the lecture(with some dialogue with the W's and with the WM) so there is no problem with 2 going through it together.

PeterLT

Premium Member
My jurisdiction has no limit but as a rule we don't like to pass more than three. We keep the 3rd degree to one in my lodge but I've sen it done with multiples. My personal belief is that the MM degree should be as personal as possible.

H

Huw

Here in England, the rule is that all parts of any degree can be conferred on two Candidates at once, but not more than two. However, it's not encouraged: most Lodges prefer to give each degree separately to each Candidate to keep it as personal as possible, and especially the Third which is ritually awkward with two simultaneous Candidates. In special circumstances, dispensation is available from GL to confer the same degree on more than two Candidates at the same time, but that's very rare.

In one of my Lodges we went through a very busy patch a few years ago, when for a couple of years we had so many Candidates that we were struggling to fit them all into our timetable. We gave away all of the Second degree work to neighbouring Lodges as courtesy conferral requests, but even so we were overwhelmed by the demand. Therefore we often had to confer the same degree to two Candidates in the same meeting ... but nevertheless, we didn't like "double" ceremonies, so we worked each ceremony twice in the same meeting, except giving the lecture at the end jointly. On one occasion during that period, we ended up having to do two Firsts and two Thirds all on the same day ... so we began in the morning, called off for a lunch break, then continued all afternoon! A very long day's masonry, that one. But quite exceptional over here, I've never seen anything like that again.

T & F,

Huw