My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aprons of office

tomasball

Premium Member
I have heard it asserted several times that, in Texas, when "pro temming" an office, one wears the appropriate jewel, but not the apron of that office. I can't find that in the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas. Can somebody point out where it is?

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
I'm not sure if it's actually written in the Digest (it isn't in this jurisdiction), but that is the correct practice here in AR.

chrmc

Is it possible to get an electronic overview of all the GM's decisions?
In general how are lodges supposed to know about them?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
AFAIK, they are not available electronically.They are available in print or CD from the Grand Secretary's office- ask for the Grand Lodge Law Addendum.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I have heard it asserted several times that, in Texas, when "pro temming" an office, one wears the appropriate jewel, but not the apron of that office. I can't find that in the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas. Can somebody point out where it is?

Interesting that it's official in Texas. In my other jurisdictions it's tradition not a written rule - Be installed in a chair, put on the apron of that chair for the year. Be assigned pro tem to a chair for a meeting, put on the jewel for that chair for the meeting. Of my jurisdictions only in Texas this taken to the extreme of the brother delivering a lecture is in the east so he gets the jewel of the east during the lecture - I rather like that.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
This is the way it is both lodges I belong to so I assume that that is the way it is in Kentucky.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Of my jurisdictions only in Texas this taken to the extreme of the brother delivering a lecture is in the east so he gets the jewel of the east during the lecture
I'm not sure why you would consider that "extreme". Is the lecturer not presiding over the Lodge while he is delivering the lecture?

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'm not sure why you would consider that "extreme".

One of the meanings of extreme is on the edge. In the numbers 0-2 the extremes are 0 and 2 with the number 1 not an extreme. If almost all jurisdictions treat a situation by tradition with only one jurisdiction bothering to write it as a rule, having a rule is the extreme. There is no need for extrema in this meaning to be extremist in the other meaning.

Is the lecturer not presiding over the Lodge while he is delivering the lecture?

He is in Texas and no where else I've ever heard of. Why should this be the case in Texas when other jurisdictions don't do this? Everywhere else the Master appoints a brother to join him in the East to deliver the lecture.

I get that "our jurisdiction; our rules" applies and that gratuitous differences are introduced just for the fun of it so there doesn't actually need to be any other justification. But often there's an explanation for how some activity works and why it's in place. Given that the jewel and hat don't change hands in other jurisdictions I know I figure the local history on the matter should be fascinating. Even if it's - Big speech, big hat.

Does the lecturer put on the WM jewel and hat in any jurisdiction other than Texas?