My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wordpress Help

Txmason

Howdy!

I'm Bro. Jerry Johnston and I finally have soft of designed a better lodge website using weebly, but would like to use Wordpress. Weebly is good but it does not have a good way for me to put all of our photos online ( I am the lodge photographer) and would love some help.

One step by step instructions how to design a website on Wordpress

Two, how I can create really nice photo galleries for all of our photos.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Jerry

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
Yes, I designed my Lodge's website, www.thecolonymasons.org, which is a Wordpress site.

I'm also on the GL Internet Committee. The GL's site is based on Drupal.

Wordpress is great, and there are many free themes that you can use which makes design a breeze.

You can browse the themes here, to give you some ideas.

http://wordpress.org/themes/

Once you get Wordpress installed, adding themes is simple. This should get you going.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes

Fraternally,
Brad Marrs, PM
The Colony No. 1451

Freemason Connect Mobile

Lowcarbjc

At some stage when you got the hang of things download and install Artisteer from artisteer.com. It has an evaluation period where you can decide if you like what it does with your Wordpress and other sites.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Txmason

Bro. Marrs

Thank you so very much! Is there a book on Wordpress that you can recommend with instructions step by step? I am a novice when it comes to websites. I would really love the help.

Also whom would I contact about helping with photography with Grand Lodge? I do professional photography and would love to give my website a make over.

Best,
Jerry

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
I just use the Wordpress site, and their forums.

Regarding the Grand Photographer, your Lodge Secretary will have the current Grand Master's directory, which has contact info for all of the committee members.

Fraternally,
Brad Marrs, PM
The Colony No. 1451

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
I have used Wordpress on four sites and have three more on the trestleboard. I have found that Google is my friend. I have located sites about CSS, HTML5 and anything else I have needed. You can probably hit any of us up if you need any guidance.

Txmason

Well what I would love help with is a step by step guide using Wordpress. Photos and directions are helpful. Right now I'm using weebly which is alright but since I do not have any true knowledge how to make a great website I am in search of more light. Something easy to follow along with.

Best
Jerry

Here is our website as it is now:

www.sanjacinto106.org

Freemason Connect Mobile

Txmason

Thank you so much for your help. How do I install word press? On what do I put it on? My Mac?

Freemason Connect Mobile

Txmason

Thank you so much for your help. How do I install word press? On what do I put it on? My Mac?

I'm sorry for the questions. I'm new to all of this. On the lodges bluehost account it has an option for installing Wordpress but if I do that it would overwrite the weebly plugin I am using.

What do you suggest?

Freemason Connect Mobile

kwilbourn

Generally you can install it into a subfolder on your webserver. Not familiar with bluehost, but there is likely an option during wordpress install as to where you want it located.

You can also download some software to work with the site on your local computer before sending it to bluehost once you are happy with it. I use WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, and PHP). I'm sure there is a package install of Apache, MySQL, and PHP for Mac, but don't know what it would be called (MAMP? AAMP?) This should give you everything you need to work on the site and get it together. (Although I recommend developing on a subdomain or directory on the final server, as then you can be sure nothing changes from point A to point B).