My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What browser?

What Web Browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Firefox

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Safari

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Chrome

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Webkit

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Opera

• Other

• Total voters

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I've been using Firefox for years now, but Webkit is really grown on me. It's one of, if not the fastest web browsers out there. It's also the only browser to pass the Acid3 test:

http://acid3.acidtests.org/

You can download it here:
http://webkit.org/

If you don't need the addons that Firefox provides, it's your best bet.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I've been using Firefox for years now, but Webkit is really grown on me. If you don't need the addons that Firefox provides, it's your best bet.

Ok, splain to me, please- what are "add ons" & why would I need them?

(Dang! You guys is SMART!)

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I'm with you on this one, Bill. I don't have a clue what the differences are, and what all this is about...:confused:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i actually prefer chrome, but it's hard to give up my gazillion add-ons in firefox...

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Addons are enhancements to your Firefox browser. This can range from weather reports, bookmark syncing, and MUCH MUCH more. Firefox allows addons and Themes which is pretty slick. A list of addons:

feed:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/recommended/format:rss

Firefox is great, but for simplicity, speed, and ease of use it's hard to beat Webkit. BTW, Internet Explorer is the worst browser to use, although the latest beta is an improvement.

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
IE is just cumbersome and slow. It's like a heaving giant.... not good for the kind of stuff I do. I only use it when I have to (accessing my work stuff).

Webkit is awesome for quick browsing, but the addons for Firefox put it over the top, for me. Greasemonkey scripts turn the web into a completely new monster.

davidterrell80

Past Master
Premium Member
I teach a Genealogy Class, so have all the browsers on all my 6 notebooks, to let everyone have the experience they are used to, when i set up my portable classroom.

I like Chrome for school research, because of its tie into google translate. I'm finishing a master's in ancient and classical history and I love having automatic translation of foreign language websites. Try it for some foreign Masonic sites, it's very readable.

I have also come to like Safari, which I use for classroom interaction. Very like Chrome. Very Stable.

I use Firefox for bills. It sometimes meets with websites that do not like it. I'm thinking about switching bills to Chrome.

IE... I use it for accessing my work intranet as it uses Exchange Web Access for email and I get limited functionality outside IE. It's OK.

Benton

Premium Member
Chrome exclusively now. Whenever I'm not drowning in graduate school or teaching, I tend to have a hobby of gaming. As such, I like to minimize the system resources my web browser hogs, so I can run it and a game at the same time. In my personal experience, Google Chrome, though it's starting to become a bit bloated, still uses drastically fewer system resources than Firefox (which used to be lean and mean), or the awful IE.

mrpesas

I've liked using Firefox because I can run it on my work pc and home mac and I get the same "experience"
However, Firefox has started to become a resource hog (seems there is a memory leak) and I may be switching to Chrome.
Does webkit run on a Mac?