My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parkour or MovNat?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Reminds me of this

[video=youtube;zQgFxDSqft4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgFxDSqft4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL3rwKMQPzdZ8lc3OCzNHeqH-X0StQWQVC[/video]

Zaden

bjdeverell

Premium Member
Being damned near obsessed with Assassin's Creed makes me wish I had a chance to learn. Would have to really amp up my workout though. Not sure how my joints would do in the beginning.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Start with something like judo. I'm not joking. Judo builds amazing foundations. Never have done parkour, but I've seen it, and there's a lot of tucking and rolling moves, and it's a good idea to also have safer falling become a conditioned reflex. Most useful martial art in my entire life has been judo. I've been in one fight, ever, after beginning to study any martial arts, and that was with a dog and settled with one swat to the side of his muzzle. I've slipped on ice, wet ground, mud, LOTS of times. Judo to the rescue.

bjdeverell

Premium Member
Never thought of that before but yeah that's a good idea. Joe Rogan talks about it on his podcast every now and then about how judo training does wonders to avoid those dumb injuries that happen to everybody at sometime or another.

Zaden

Lots of people in both communities (parkour and MovNat) have martial arts backgrounds. Interestingly, our students who study martial arts of various types have told us they've seen great improvement in their martial practice after training parkour (same goes for our students who do other sports). The foundational parts of parkour are 1. learning to land in a way to reduce impact and 2. learning to roll, like in judo or other martial arts. You can't just throw yourself into an 8 ft jump to a steel pipe or concrete and expect to train long without knowing how to do it without destroying your joints. You learn to move "lighter" both in training and day-to-day.

bjdeverell

Premium Member
Start with something like judo. I'm not joking. Judo builds amazing foundations. Never have done parkour, but I've seen it, and there's a lot of tucking and rolling moves, and it's a good idea to also have safer falling become a conditioned reflex. Most useful martial art in my entire life has been judo. I've been in one fight, ever, after beginning to study any martial arts, and that was with a dog and settled with one swat to the side of his muzzle. I've slipped on ice, wet ground, mud, LOTS of times. Judo to the rescue.

UPDATE: A jiu-jitsu academy is opening up near my home and is being led by a man who received his training directly from the Gracie family in Brazil. I'm not overly familiar with the style; just what I've seen in MMA. Hopefully once the training has become part of my everyday life I will finally be able to enter the parkour community with more confidence. Any advice on on regimentation? By that I mean things like scheduling (how many days pepr week) or dietary alterations. Ever since I became an (almost) vegetarian I can see amazing improvements in joint/pain relief and flexibility. Are there any supplements or really anything else that you could give me some pointers on to increase stamina and reduce risk of injury? Really glad to be getting into this and think it will help my overall well being. Thanks in advance Bros!

Zaden

UPDATE: A jiu-jitsu academy is opening up near my home and is being led by a man who received his training directly from the Gracie family in Brazil. I'm not overly familiar with the style; just what I've seen in MMA. Hopefully once the training has become part of my everyday life I will finally be able to enter the parkour community with more confidence. Any advice on on regimentation? By that I mean things like scheduling (how many days pepr week) or dietary alterations. Ever since I became an (almost) vegetarian I can see amazing improvements in joint/pain relief and flexibility. Are there any supplements or really anything else that you could give me some pointers on to increase stamina and reduce risk of injury? Really glad to be getting into this and think it will help my overall well being. Thanks in advance Bros!

BJJ is certainly a good discipline, lots of groundwork and joint holds etc., but if you are wanting to get into parkour specifically, really the only way to do it is to start training :) Your instructor in BJJ should be able to assess your current physical condition and advise you on a training schedule for that. For parkour, if you started with something as simple as our crawling drills (which we have all of our students beginner to advanced do some variation of every session, and you can see on our media page on urban-movement.com) your body will tell you how often you can train. Start slow, if that is the way you go, and build strength before adding on speed and/or big jumps. Start low to the ground. Most people start off training a couple days a week for 1-3 hours at a time, then add days as they are able. Dietary advice varies across the board. I'm vegetarian, personally, there is a decent part of the community (both parkour and movnat) that promote Paleo as the way to go. My advice is to eat as much whole food as you can and try to cut out junk (though you don't have to neglect "treating" yourself too).

It would be best for you to actually go out and get in person advice from the community. If you can make it to Dallas, which it looks like is around an hour and a half from you, there is a great, welcoming and talented community there. No need to worry about confidence, your training will give you that. In a few months we will also be brining in a few of the Founders (the Yamakasi) for a workshop. Though their training is intense, workshops like that are also good ways to get into parkour because you will always go home with new things to add to your personal training.