My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masons to take their secrets with them as Forbes lodge closes after 140 years

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
A sad story, but one that is becoming more common. A lodge that I visit is going to close and the members going to another lodge.

GKA

Premium Member
When a lodge closes, it signifies to me that our fraternity is becoming detached from main stream society more and more.
A lodge is not just a meeting place with budgetary considerations, it is a social group consisting of the brethren who compose that lodge
At my lodge, we are experiencing some social adaptation challenges in that our newly elected brethren want to see some significant changes made to our modus operandi
It has been tough going but we have made some significant progress.
Our lodges cannot become havens for the old ways, no matter how much we wish to cling to them, the lodge must be dynamic and the basic lessons of Freemasonry provide us with all that we need to do this.

Bloke

Premium Member
Some men would rather see a lodge die than change... . That said, in the country with falling populations, it can be tough going..

The trick is to view yourself as custodian with a duty to pass freemasonry on intact let that form your actions and decisions. That rests in the values communicated in the ritual -whether you eat sandwiches, steak is all irrelevant, whether you meet at 6 or 8 pm, Monday or Saturday, ,sing or dont sing songs, have or dont give toasts, all irrelevant; what matters is positioning the lodge to gain and retain new members and light a fire in them to in turn to perpetuate our history by accommodating the next generation of brothers.. that needs to be a key driver

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
what matters is positioning the lodge to gain and retain new members and light a fire in them to in turn to perpetuate our history by accommodating the next generation of brothers.. that needs to be a key driver
Absolutely! Totally agree.