My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic language

Castro81

Hey brothers, im hoping you can give me some light. There are some masonic terms or phrases, words that i don’t understand or know. For instance, what does it mean when someone uses or says “brother caution”? I know what it means when we say “on the level” or that person or brother is “square”. But what does it mean when a brother says travel light? Help a brother out. Oh, please feel free to add any other phrases or whatever! Thank you brothers!!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Hey brothers, im hoping you can give me some light. There are some masonic terms or phrases, words that i don’t understand or know. For instance, what does it mean when someone uses or says “brother caution”? I know what it means when we say “on the level” or that person or brother is “square”. But what does it mean when a brother says travel light? Help a brother out. Oh, please feel free to add any other phrases or whatever! Thank you brothers!!
I’d recommend you speak to a member of your lodge.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I went back and reviewed your posts. My recommendation stands.

Many years ago, I had repeated difficulty and brusque exchanges with a judge (a martinet,who referred to himself in the third person) before whom I frequently appeared. I asked a colleague for ideas to deal with the issues, as he knew the judge. He recommended asking the judge for help.

I did so. I don’t even remember the problem I brought to him. The relationship turned 180 degrees. Even after he changed assignments, when appearing before him he greeted me cheerfully like an old friend as I approached the bar.

I would encourage you to do so. If it doesn’t work with one brother (and I emphasize the word), try another, or two at a time. You’ve lamented the lack of a mentor. As this is important to you, I recommend you take responsibility for finding one.

But that’s just one old mason’s view.

CLewey44

Brother, I think they are simply trying to keep anything 'secretive' under a certain veil. You will be best served to ask someone these things in person that knows you personally to be a Freemason.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Many years ago, I had repeated difficulty and brusque exchanges with a judge (a martinet,who referred to himself in the third person) before whom I frequently appeared. I asked a colleague for ideas to deal with the issues, as he knew the judge. He recommended asking the judge for help.

I did so. I don’t even remember the problem I brought to him. The relationship turned 180 degrees. Even after he changed assignments, when appearing before him he greeted me cheerfully like an old friend as I approached the bar.
Good move! With most people if they feel that you respect them they will have a kindly feeling towards you.