My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Master of Florida Bans Certain Religions

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Great letter Brother. I am astonished that someone would take such a stance. It shows that some do not want to understand other religions or what they teach. This is in the vein of the anti-masonic movements by taking something that is not understood fully and then condemning it on the basis of popular opinion and not truth.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
He's a schmuck. "Great Architect of the Universe" could apply to Odin, who directed his brothers to form the world from Ymir's bones. If the soul were not deemed immortal among Odinists, they would never speak of Valhalla or Hel. As for "Wicca", it is far too broad to describe in terms other than "Whoever claims to be Wiccan is one." Gnostics certainly believe in some sort of deity, although their actual architect of the universe (the demiurge) is either an ignorant or evil being and not worthy of worship--the Gnostic God is distant and had nothing to do with creating the universe. Agnostics simply don't know. It is possible to admit to the possibility of something and still be uncertain. The Florida act sounds like a step on the road to attempt to ban Islam, Judaism, even Catholic Christianity based on ever tightening circles of redefinition.

dhouseholder

First of all, can someone enlighten me as to just what exactly an "edict" is in GL of Texas Law? I know what the definition is, but if a Grand Master makes an "edict" does it automatically become Grand Lodge Law? Or can he only pass "edicts" when interpreting Grand Lodge Law?

Second of all, this edict is horrible and I have full confidence it will be repealed. On the other hand I am glad that this issue is being brought into the public light, as I am sure each GL will now discuss and rule on this issue.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
There is some precedent in other jurisdictions. About 5 years ago, the GL of Arkansas "de-petitioned" a candidate who professed himself as an ordained Wiccan, (http://masonicleaks.com/tag/ordained-wiccan/).

The reasoning behind this is a number of edicts incorporated into the Arkansas Masonic Digest which define just what the Grand Lodge considers to be the "one true and living God"... e.g. that God is not a "force" or materialistic animus as many paganistic beliefs typically describe. Arkansas has codified some guidance in that regard, nd this is probably the same sort of thing that the GL of Florida is trying to do...

Extracted from the Arkansas Masonic Digest, 2012 ed.:
3.7.16 Belief in God and in the immortality of the soul is a cardinal doctrine of Masonry, and it is the sense of the Grand Lodge of Arkansas that the God of Masonry is the Great Architect of the Universe, the Creator and Preserver of all things, the God of the Bible as well as the God of those who know nothing about its teachings; that the God of Masonry is not a God - a force - a materialistic cause, but the one true and living God to whom we must all account; and that anyone rejecting these great truths is unworthy of initiation into, or of holding membership in, a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. -Pro. 1879, p. 65; amended Pro. 1951, p. 70.

3.7.17 A belief in a Supreme Being is required of all candidates for the mysteries of Masonry. No atheist can be made a Mason. -Pro. 1877, p. 11.

3.7.18 Being a deist is not a disqualification for initiation; but the applicant must believe in God and the immortality of the soul. -Pro. 1879, p. 16.

3.7.19 One who believes in God, but does not believe in the Bible, can be made a Mason, if otherwise worthy. -Pro. 1867, p. 46.

3.7.20 Hereafter when a candidate presents himself for initiation, before being prepared he shall make affirmative answer to the following question, "Do you seriously declare upon your honor that you believe in the existence of one True and Living God, and in the immortality of the soul?" -Pro. 1907, p. 87.

3.7.21 Masonry does not bar any man on account of membership in any church. - Pro. 1935, p. 23.

3.7.22 A member who, in fear of death, joined the Roman Catholic Church, and for the sake of receiving the benefits of the ordinances of that church renounced Masonry, but afterwards recovered and desired to resume his connection with the Fraternity, ought not for said cause to be expelled. Masonry proscribes no man on account of his politics or religion. - Pro. 1880, p. 28-29.

When I took the vows of a Scottish Rite Mason, I promised, among other things, to be a "soldier of liberty" and a "soldier of religious tolerance" on behalf of all mankind... not just within the fraternity. Every person has, or should have the right and privilege to approach his or her Deity in the way they best see fit. But does that also mean that someone, for example, who bows down before the baalim, dances before an Asherah pole, passes their children through the fire to Molech, or otherwise worships the starry hosts would make a Mason? Or someone who senses some animus in the trees and bushes, or spirit of nature?

When I was passed and raised, I also made some promises about following the rules in my local lodge and ultimately within my grand lodge's jurisdiction, which are the rules set forth in the Digest noted above. If we ever get to be the Grand Master, I might look at those rules and how they might hurt someone, but until then, I've got some promises to keep.

David Hill

I think that this edict is appalling. I will be writing a letter to the Grand Master of Florida detailing my concerns, and I plan on writing to the Grand Lodge of Texas as it seems to me that Florida is now in violation of the Ancient Landmarks. I encourage everyone to do the same. Br. Cliff's open letter is excellent. Thank you, brother.

dhouseholder

There is some precedent in other jurisdictions. About 5 years ago, the GL of Arkansas "de-petitioned" a candidate who professed himself as an ordained Wiccan, (http://masonicleaks.com/tag/ordained-wiccan/).

The reasoning behind this is a number of edicts incorporated into the Arkansas Masonic Digest which define just what the Grand Lodge considers to be the "one true and living God"... e.g. that God is not a "force" or materialistic animus as many paganistic beliefs typically describe. Arkansas has codified some guidance in that regard, nd this is probably the same sort of thing that the GL of Florida is trying to do...

The amount of intolerance in your state's Grand Lodge makes my heart sad.

When I took the vows of a Scottish Rite Mason, I promised, among other things, to be a "soldier of liberty" and a "soldier of religious tolerance" on behalf of all mankind... not just within the fraternity. Every person has, or should have the right and privilege to approach his or her Deity in the way they best see fit. But does that also mean that someone, for example, who bows down before the baalim, dances before an Asherah pole, passes their children through the fire to Molech, or otherwise worships the starry hosts would make a Mason? Or someone who senses some animus in the trees and bushes, or spirit of nature?
When has Freemasonry ever taken a man on his faith alone? Many other qualifications make a man a good candidate.

When I was passed and raised, I also made some promises about following the rules in my local lodge and ultimately within my grand lodge's jurisdiction, which are the rules set forth in the Digest noted above. If we ever get to be the Grand Master, I might look at those rules and how they might hurt someone, but until then, I've got some promises to keep.
Brother you don't have to be Grand Master to affect change in your Grand Lodge.

David Hill

I have been taking some time to think about this edict in order to ensure that my passions have been properly circumscribed. Upon reflection, it strikes me that there is likely protocol involved in contacting a Grand Master outside of Texas. Would any brother please shed some light on that protocol? Does a personal missive have to go through the GL of Texas?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I cannot express the sadness this edict causes my heart, my soul. That an American Freemason, who has traveled the road for many years, and has reached the highest position within his Jurisdiction, can be so blatantly ignorant and prejudiced, sickens me.

As to contacting him directly, I do not recommend it unless you are the sitting Master of a Lodge within his Jurisdiction.

Godfrey Daniel

I've added my ¢¢

[video=youtube;46bBWBG9r2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bBWBG9r2o[/video]

Last edited:

David Hill

Thank you for your responses, Br. Daniel. I will be speaking to the WM of my lodge this evening at our stated meeting. I'm aware that this is a Florida issue, but I think that having feedback from other jurisdictions may help put this edict in its proper perspective. Also, I do think that this is fine for open discussion and speculation. However, I think you're exactly right that we should go through proper channels if anyone feels strongly enough to officially let their feelings be known.