My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bars and Restaurants

nfasson

Any Masonic-related taverns, bars, eateries in the U.S.? Maybe with a public area and Mason-only area? At least, that would be cool if there were...

My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is one in my mind, but that's a long way from reality.

I believe there are a number of them in Britain, but I can't think of any specific ones at the moment.

brother josh

Green dragon tavern is still in use in Boston I know tgat it did house a lodge upstairs if u come to ky we have the talbot inn that has two bars that date to the late 1700 not masonic but its damn cool to see I've stayed there as well

My Freemasonry

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
There are many Pubs in the UK called either the "Freemasons' Arms" or the "Masons' Arms" but they don't have private areas for Masons anymore than any other group that cares to pay to hire the facilities.

There are also many other Pubs with names like the "Carpenters' Arms", "Wheelwrights' Arms", "Oddfellows' Arms", "Coopers' Arms" etc etc they are just names of Pubs I'm afraid it doesn't imply any link to those organisations.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Any Masonic-related taverns, bars, eateries in the U.S.? Maybe with a public area and Mason-only area? At least, that would be cool if there were...

Having a separate area for Masons only is an *event* not a *location*. It's called a Table Lodge. A lodge isn't a building it's a number of brothers meeting with an S&C, Volume of Sacred Law and a Charter. A lodge can have several types of meeting. A Table Lodge is one of those types. We pay bills and ballot on petitions at Stated meetings also called business meetings. We confer degrees in work meetings. We hold ceremonial banquets in Table Lodge meetings. The location has to be secured so it can be tiled for members only. Table Lodge is authorized in may jurisdictions in the US. If you ever have a chance to go to one - Sign up for reservations immediately! I predict it will be one of the better Masonic experiences you have in the year.

Do there exist taverns or bars owned by lodges? Unlikely in the US as we have had a long temperance movement here. We have dry jurisdictions to this day. History buffs may be able to find taverns still in existence where lodges once met - That would be a fun history travel quest. It would make a good travelogue.

I have seen Masonic symbols on the walls in various restaurants. None so far to the extent they suggest a room had ever been intended as a location for a tiled lodge meeting.

masonicdove

The Mason Bar in Dallas used to be a church, then was used by the Metropolitan Lodge of Dallas many years ago before it became a bar/restaurant. I don't when the building was no longer used for a lodge. I haven't been yet, but I hear it is a nice spot in Dallas. One of my brothers said that other masons do go to the bar. Yet, it is not affiliated with any lodge. Nor would any person know it used to be a lodge unless they knew its history.